Any advices and guides?

Started by
1 comment, last by Captain P 17 years, 6 months ago
Hello im new here as well as in proggraming and making games and stuff i only know litle to work in photoshop and cararra 5 so i wonder some one can help me and tell me step by step the basicks of proggraming and making games thx a lot and i hope that ill be one of you here too :D i relay want to learn how to create stuff in opengl and directx thx
Advertisement
Hey and welcome to the forum! I've been in a similar position to you, I've been studying computer games technology at university but had no previous programming knowledge. I've bought quite a few books but a lot of them are far too daunting for beginners. However there are some good books out there here are a couple you should think about trying:

Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson - excellent book for learning the basics of C++ including classes and object oriented programming.

Programming Role Playing Games with direct x 8.0 - great book for learning the basics behind directx

hope this is helpful for you.
There's a C++ workshop running on Gamedev.net if you want to go for that language. It's not the easiest language to start with, but it's pretty powerfull in return, and there's quite some info on it. NeHe has some good OpenGL tutorials for example.

Having that said, don't go overboard with the 3D side just yet. Spend some time getting familiar with the language, get a decent understanding of what programming means, do some small projects to get the hang of it, and gradually move on to larger programs. It may take some years before you're skilled enough to create a decent 3D game. Granted, I got busy with OpenGL quite soon after I started, but I received help from two programmer friends, and the result wasn't much really, just a grid and two generated balls that I physically simulated. Often, they would fall through each other anyway...

In other words: don't underestimate it. Don't get discouraged either. Good luck. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement