Where do I learn Visual Studio 2005 and C++?

Started by
5 comments, last by Omid Ghavami 17 years, 6 months ago
Hi! I am a total beginner to Visual Studio and c++. I've programmed in Flash and such thing though. 1. Where can I learn C++ and Visual Studio "2005" for free on the net? 2. Any good books teaching Visual Studio "2005" and/or C++? (Good for total beginners) 3. Other resources? Thanks/ Robin
Advertisement
There are a lot of tutorials on the internet for C++, you might check this

I would also highly recommend getting a book on C++, which one is up to you, but books by O'Reilly are typically a good bet. Check out Practical C++ Programming.

If you're planning to make games, don't forget that you won't start doing graphics right away, you need to learn the language fairly well before you move on to libraries like SDL and OpenGL.
"ok, pac man is an old gameand, there are faces which is eatin up shits" - da madface
Thanks!

The only problem left then is where to learn Visual Studio 2005 (which I'm planning to create the applications/games in). Anyone know where to do this? (I've been searching on Google but without good results).
When you say "learn Visual Studio 2005" do you mean learn how to actually use the IDE?
"ok, pac man is an old gameand, there are faces which is eatin up shits" - da madface
Yes, how to use the Interface, test the program, build. How to create applications with the window builder or whatever it is called (you drag out the buttons etc. and then program it). Basically all the stuff you need to know to be able to create c++ apps.
Quote:Original post by RobinOfSweden
Yes, how to use the Interface, test the program, build. How to create applications with the window builder or whatever it is called (you drag out the buttons etc. and then program it). Basically all the stuff you need to know to be able to create c++ apps.

Visual Studio 2005 (and all of the free Express Editions) has a great built-in help feature; just click on Help, "How Do I", and then click "Getting Started" in the window that appears. It gives you walkthroughs on creating projects, compiling, debugging, and other things.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Visual C++ 2005 books: Those I found at adlibris
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Programming for the Absolute Beginners

Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2005

Quite popular C++ book
Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example

Thinking in C++: C++ book freely available on the net
Thinking in C++, 2nd edition, Volume 1

Thinking in C++, Volume 2: Practical Programming

EDIT: Btw, if you are going to learn C++/CLR, then you should IMO consider learning C# instead.
Best regards, Omid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement