Sign in to follow this  
CIJolly

Plotting pixels in DirectX 8

You'd think this would be easy to find online, but for some reason it isn't. I've found and implimented tutorials on alpha blending, billboarding, matrix operations...but something as simple as plotting a coloured pixel to the screen in directx 8 continues to elude me. Does anyone know how to do this efficiently? Or where I could find a good tutorial?

Quote:
Original post by CIJolly
You'd think this would be easy to find online, but for some reason it isn't.
I've found and implimented tutorials on alpha blending, billboarding, matrix operations...but something as simple as plotting a coloured pixel to the screen in directx 8 continues to elude me.
Does anyone know how to do this efficiently? Or where I could find a good tutorial?

It's something like tutorial 1 included with the sdk. It teaches you how to draw a triangle to the screen. Instead of using TRIANGLELIST or whatever with your drawprimitive statement, use pointlist.

Thanks, I did some google searches on POINTLIST and went through the tutorial, and it proved much more fruitful than my searches for plotpixel.

I am filling the whole screen with white pixels to test how efficient this method is, and am only getting 12fps.
Here is the meat of my render function, it is executed once per frame:

CUSTOMVERTEX g_Vertices[5024];
m_pD3DDevice->SetStreamSource( 0, g_pVB, sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX) );
m_pD3DDevice->SetVertexShader( D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX );

int xpixel = 0;
int ypixel = 0;

for (int pixelcounter = 0; pixelcounter < 160; pixelcounter ++)
{

for (int ix = 0; ix < 5024; ix++)
{
g_Vertices[ix].x = xpixel;
g_Vertices[ix].y = ypixel;
g_Vertices[ix].z = 0.5f;
g_Vertices[ix].rhw = 1.0f;
g_Vertices[ix].color = 0xffff0000;

xpixel++;
if (xpixel > 1024)
{
xpixel = 0;
ypixel ++;
}

}
}

VOID* pVertices;
g_pVB->Lock( 0, sizeof(g_Vertices), (BYTE**)&pVertices, 0 );
memcpy( pVertices, g_Vertices, sizeof(g_Vertices) );
g_pVB->Unlock();

m_pD3DDevice->DrawPrimitive( D3DPT_POINTLIST, 0, 5025 );

Am I doing anything glaringly obviously wrong? Surely DirectX can plot pixels faster than 12fps.

Using a pointlist isn't all that intuitive. If you're looking to render pixel-wise, like we had to back in the day, you may have more luck using D3D Surfaces with direct access. For a simple double-buffered setup you should create an off-screen surface of the appropriate format, draw to it every frame and copy it to the screen. Some methods of interest:
// Upon initialisation
IDirect3DDevice9::CreateOffscreenPlainSurface

// Each frame
IDirect3DSurface9::LockRect
IDirect3DSurface9::UnlockRect
IDirect3DDevice9::StretchRect
Be warned, though, that this sort of thing isn't hardware accelerated and will be a little slow.

Regards
Admiral

Quote:
Original post by CIJolly
Thanks, I did some google searches on POINTLIST and went through the tutorial, and it proved much more fruitful than my searches for plotpixel.

I am filling the whole screen with white pixels to test how efficient this method is, and am only getting 12fps.
Here is the meat of my render function, it is executed once per frame:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Am I doing anything glaringly obviously wrong? Surely DirectX can plot pixels faster than 12fps.

That does seem a little slow for what it is doing.

How are you setting up your rendering? Are you using double buffering? I'm by no means an expert on this, but it seems like something might be set up in an inefficient way.