Sign in to follow this  
gandolf1212

[web] Need help putting together a layout

A week or so ago I created a website and posted in the lounge for opinions. A lot of the replies wanted to change specific aspects of the current design, but a couple posts pointed out that the design was a little bland. Another mistake I made was designing this site on my 19in LCD monitor. While I did not forget about resolution, I never thought of brightness/contrast, and the result was a web site that seems to appear dark on every computer but my own. Rather than try to mess with the existing site, I have came up with a new concept, dropped the settings on my monitor, and have decided to start anew. This time not only am I shooting for a more creative layout, I am trying to develop the layout more around the content I have for the site (last time I just copied and pasted the same page – I only had two days to do it btw). I have marked up three idea’s in flash: http://www.trenttompkins.com/one.html http://www.trenttompkins.com/two.html http://www.trenttompkins.com/three.html Your notice that they are all pretty incomplete. Also, in the second one, I couldn’t really find a guy that looked the way I wanted. If I was to go with that design, I’d use a picture of myself rather than stock art – I also got a book on how to take modeling photo’s (I’ll keep my shirt on, of coarse :P) Which layout do you guys like better? Any items you think need changed or could be added? Opinions in general? Do you like these (imagine more finished) better than the trenttompkins.com site now? How do they look to you as far as brightness and contast?

I like the first one the best. Three is quite bland and two just looks plain sacry with that photo. Then again, I usually tend to think that of sites that feauture (stock) photo's of happy smiling people on their sites. It sends shivers down my spine.

But - as I said in the Lounge thread - I don't mind your original design (except some adjustments to the background image maybe), just the 1998 technology that you used to build it. No redesign needed, just a reimplementation.

I like the direction you're going with the first one.

The buttons (everything red and black on the page, that is) need some help, obviously, but the overall idea is good. You should try to find a way to use some of the massive white space you have in the upper left or upper right of the layout, though - as it is, very little of the design is devoted to content.

The current site needs some work, and the new idea is incomplete, so it's a little tough to compare them. Still, I like the site you have up now, with a few ideas for change.

Keep playing around (with both) and let us see what you come up with!

//edit. Brightness/contrast-wise, I think the new designs are all a little bland, and need more that stands out. Besides the text being small, I don't have any trouble reading anything, so it's just an aesthetic problem. (Come to think of it, the one splotch of color on the page is a little awkward)

I like the first one the most, but I'd like to suggest a few changes.

A) Too much dead space to the left. Consider deleteing more of the light-grey area.

B) Consider switching shapes at the top... Maybe use rectables with bevels on the top 2 corners? There are almost too many triangles for one page to handle.

Anyways, thats just my 2 cents.