Bored

Started by
17 comments, last by Gabry Hyrule 17 years, 6 months ago
I everybody, I'm new here (althought I was replying to some threads), and I've got a major problem. Every time I start my Dev-C++, I just start a new project, edit the default glut template, and close it right away just because I don't seem to be in the mood to program, like if I was already bored to program. I learnt C++, OpenGL and some Windows programming, but I can't seem to work on any project, because I always end up deleting the files, then trying another time, either because I think my idea is bad, or I don't know how to do a particular thing or again because I try to do something that would seem obvious in books, but it doesn't work. In fact, I nearly ever tried to program in OpenGL nor in Windows, I just read my books without trying. Am I bored too easily or is it just because I lack the skills to start something without stopping after ten minutes of work? Thank you! Gabry Hyrule
I'm 15, and I know C++, OpenGL and a little Windows programming.
Advertisement
You suffer a lack of motivation more than anything else. I was like you, too... until I became aware of the 4 Elements contest. Unfortunately for you, it's really too late to start a 4 elements project now, but certainly consider it for next year.

In the meantime, just write random demos. Try stuff. Don't try to make games yet; make stuff that looks cool/weird instead. Read up on as many data structures and algorithms as possible, and if at all possible write a simple demo program that uses them.

Many of my solutions to learning stuff is involve trying them out for myself on some project or another. What you COULD do is have a project that doesn't realy have a design, but that you just throw random ideas at when you have something to test. For instance, you could get a simple tile engine up and running using OpenGL, and then make it do cool stuff. You'll end up with a neat tile demo that you can use in future games!

You can always write your own wrapper library for OpenGL, too, if you're really THAT bored... That too will give you something to use for future projects, and you'll learn a lot from it as well.
Thanks for the quick reply! but what's a wrapper library? seriously, I never heard about that... lol, anyways, I'll try your idea, throwing as many stuff in a program and make something cool... in the end!

I'll also check out the 4 elements thing you speak of.

I was also wondering, would being in a "team" of some sort increase my motivation? Because I could try to recruit peoples and do programs together.

Gabry Hyrule
Make it your task to do a Tic Tac Toe clone using four different APIs: SDL, Allegro, DirectX and OpenGL. That'll keep you busy for a while and will most definately tell you which API you prefer for later projects.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
i find that when i lose the clarity needed to program, smoking some 'motivation' helps ;)

Seriously tho, you need to find something you can build that the very idea of makes you think "cool!". Find something to build that gets you excited.

For example, when I read this article, i thought "I could make some wicked cool vehicle physics with that!", and went off and programmed for a day and I had deformable boxes i could throw around, a few days later I had a jeep i could drive...
http://www.teknikus.dk/tj/gdc2001.htm

Or when I read this paper i thought "That is such a cool way to make bots smarter!". A few days later my bots could find good cover/ambush/hiding/sniper positions etc...
http://www.cgf-ai.com/docs/gdc2001_paper.pdf#search=%22terrain%20reasoning%22

Also, making a mod for something like HL2 (or the original HL) is great, coz you can get stuff on the screen faster. It only takes an hour to build a scientist launcher that explodes into a a cloud of head-crabs once you've played around with some simpler weapons ;)
(and seeing a scientist come out of a rocket launcher and go screeming across the screen is very cool!)
Allways question authority......unless you're on GameDev.net, then it will hurt your rating very badly so just shut the fuck up.
Thanks for your replies. I'm currently trying to build a little library for vectorial operations, that I'll maybe use later.

Thanks again!

Gabry Hyrule
Quote:Original post by Gabry Hyrule
either because I think my idea is bad, or I don't know how to do a particular thing

Nothing you make is stupid, if you learn from it. If you think other people will think its stupid, then just don't release it if you don't want, and keep it to yourself and your freinds or whatever.
God is not all-powerful, as he cannot build a wall he cannot jump.Stelimar Website: eddy999999.ed.funpic.org/Stelimar/index.html
I have had the same problem. I find it helps to not try to code until your ready. Don't even start programming until you've fully wrapped your head around what your going to do and how your going to do it. Usually when I write a game, (keep in mind I mostly write simple applet based stuff) I write 80% or more of the game in the first sitting. When it comes to coding complex(complex relative to your skill level) things most of the work is not the physical act of typing it out. The work mostly consists of figuring out what to do rather than doing it.
Ah yes, this mindset, I fall into it all too often.

However as Oberon_Command said the key is to definately make/learn something cool, for example on my most recent adventure I decided I wanted to play with some 'cool' graphics, and I didn't fancy using direct X (don't ask why, just fancied a change), so off to the amazon bookstore I went, bought that OpenGL 'redbook' and I'm currently working my way through the book.

I understand that it's not everybody's cup of tea, but if you can think of an area that really interests you, maybe that you don't understand/know about yet, it could be time to find out how it works to get you going again.

:o)

Good luck!

Ad
"The FFT - an algorithm the whole family can use" ... and for my next joke...
Many people seem to be having the same problem as me. Anyway, I'm trying to make a simple asteroid-like game, but about ten times I wanted to stop, but I just tried to keep on, like you guys told me too :)

Thanks again.

Gabry Hyrule

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement