passing a dereferenced ptr by reference

Started by
5 comments, last by Zahlman 17 years, 6 months ago
Just for curiousity's sake: are compilers smart enough to ignore the dereferencing cost in the following case?

void foo( object& anObj )
{
}

int main()
{

object* obj = new obj;
   foo( *obj );  // Will a compiler avoid this dereference?

return 0;

}

I do this often.. if passing a pointer by value is faster, I'd like to know. Thanks.
--== discman1028 ==--
Advertisement
I don't know, but what does it matter? A reference is only a de-referenced pointer anyway.

I can't imagine that if the compiler did ignore it that it would run much faster. I mean, how long does de-referencing take? I wouldn't think it takes very long.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Quote:Original post by Endar
I can't imagine that if the compiler did ignore it that it would run much faster. I mean, how long does de-referencing take? I wouldn't think it takes very long.

Well, everything's relative.. just curious, I guess. I mean, dereferencing involves fetching a value (potentially) from the heap, and passing it as an argument *might* put it on the stack (but I don't think so). If I passed a ptr by value, that heap fetch could be deferred until inside the function. More importantly, the dereferenced variable would never have to be pushed onto the stack. Babble babble...

But as I say, I don't know if it gets passed around / pushed around before its address is simply taken and given to the function, as a reference.

EDIT:

Quote:Original post by Endar
A reference is only a de-referenced pointer anyway.

I thought a reference was a pointer that hasn't been fetched / de-referenced yet (aren't "fetched" / "de-referenced" synonymous?), but using a reference avoids the ugly syntax of de-referencing.
--== discman1028 ==--
I would assume that it would never dereference the pointer since when passing by reference all it should care about is the address of the object. Just to make sure I made a little test and checked the assembly output using g++ -S test.cpp

void foo( int& bob ){    bob = 5;}int main(){    int* obj = new int;    foo( *obj );        return 0;}

If I am reading this gcc assembly output correctly, then it just passes along the address it got from new. Scroll down to see the part.

.file	"dref.cpp"	.text	.align 2.globl __Z3fooRi	.def	__Z3fooRi;	.scl	2;	.type	32;	.endef__Z3fooRi:	pushl	%ebp	movl	%esp, %ebp	movl	8(%ebp), %eax	movl	$5, (%eax)	popl	%ebp	ret	.def	___main;	.scl	2;	.type	32;	.endef	.align 2.globl _main	.def	_main;	.scl	2;	.type	32;	.endef_main:	pushl	%ebp	movl	%esp, %ebp	subl	$24, %esp	andl	$-16, %esp	movl	$0, %eax	addl	$15, %eax	addl	$15, %eax	shrl	$4, %eax	sall	$4, %eax	movl	%eax, -8(%ebp)	movl	-8(%ebp), %eax	call	__alloca	call	___main        ; here is where we care about	movl	$4, (%esp)	call	__Znwj         ; function called to allocate memory	movl	%eax, -4(%ebp) ; puts address in local variable's stack position	movl	-4(%ebp), %eax ; puts that address in eax	movl	%eax, (%esp)   ; puts the address on stack for function call,                               ; the actual object is never accessed	call	__Z3fooRi      ; calls foo function	movl	$0, %eax	leave	ret	.def	__Znwj;	.scl	3;	.type	32;	.endef
C++ References are just less syntaxically abrasive const pointers.

Well, I take that back. There's some wonky quirkish things things specified in the standard about by-value returns and things related to storage IIRC (that lead to defined behavior in situations where pointers would not), but in this situation, the exact same mechanics will be used in both situations.

The only affect either should have on the outputted code should be name mangling. Rest assured, unless your compiler is a total hack job by 1985's standards, references and const pointers should behave identically in performance.
Thanks guys.
--== discman1028 ==--
Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey
C++ References are just less syntaxically abrasive const pointers.

Well, I take that back. There's some wonky quirkish things things specified in the standard about by-value returns and things related to storage IIRC (that lead to defined behavior in situations where pointers would not), but in this situation, the exact same mechanics will be used in both situations.

The only affect either should have on the outputted code should be name mangling. Rest assured, unless your compiler is a total hack job by 1985's standards, references and const pointers should behave identically in performance.

Well yes, but I assume the original question was really "will the code emitted for main() include a useless dereference (to find the pointed-at value) followed immediately by a re-reference (to create the machine-level implementation of the reference)?"

In which case, no. Even I could have implemented the relevant optimization, *before* I took that optimizing-compilers course in university.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement