Darwinia

Started by
3 comments, last by Ezbez 17 years, 6 months ago
I just picked up a game called "Darwinia" that I think everyone should try. :) Its got alot of game design elements that I like. 1. Its simple (especially after removing the "gesture" technology. The game is a real time strategy game, with very limited characteristics. You have a grand total of 6 units, which keeps the game really basic. The graphics are extreamly simple, and remind me of the days of the old star fox games. Take a look at the game, or if you've played it, and let me know. I see it as a very good game designed and implemented very well.
Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.
Advertisement
I played Darwinia (the unregistered version) and I think the part I liked best was the little 'soul crystals' that are left behind when things are killed. so that once you defeat an enemy or if your Darwinians get killed, you need the engineer units to collect the crystals to turn them into your Darwinians.

It provides a pretty nice resource that you can use to measure progresss, because you can pretty much convert the entire enemy population in a zone to Darwinians to clean that area out.
It was a cute game, thought i didn't play for long
I had a feeling it didn't have enough depth for my liking
Yeah my friend told me about it. How simple are the graphics? GBA simple? NES simple? Pong simple? jj bout the last one
RPGs, Strategys, MMORPGsI'm a Game designer with a need for the perfect combination of max stats and pure skill
Actually, Darwinia has very beautiful graphics. It's beauty lies in its simplicity.

We've got some screenies acomin':

Screenie 1
Screenie 2
Screenie 3

Well, you get the point. Not everyone likes those style graphics, though. I am one of the ones that do like it.

@OP - I definately agree with you! Like it's graphics, the beauty of the gameplay is it's simplicity. A relatively small number of choices yeild a large number of possible results, in a very good way. The gameplay is definately fairly original, too. Quite a nicely made game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement