Is a game programming job feasible for me?

Started by
1 comment, last by dannielum 17 years, 6 months ago
I graduated in 2003 with my BSCS. I have 11 years experience as a server administrator. When I graduated, I took another sys admin job but I'm bored. I have done some vbscript, C# professionally. But the extent of my duties is mostly Exchange and Active Directory administration. I'm 33 and I'm wondering if I'm too old to make a career change. I really enjoy playing games and I'd love to make games. I enjoy programming but all of my C++ programming has been purely in academic environments. I've been going through books on OpenGL and DirectX but is that enough? If I submit a resume to a game company, will it even get considered or will it get pigeonholed because of the system administrator jobs? I realize I'll probably have to take an entry level job and I'm okay with that. I just don't know how to communicate that in my resume.
Advertisement
the game companies i interviewed at were looking for:

1) STRONG c++ skills
2) interest in games, or whatever the company was creating

by that i mean, if your c++/programming skills are good, then i think they might give you a shot as long as you had an interest in game development. A lot of companies have mush of the low level graphics code already written, so you would probably be doing other programming tasks besides making things appear on the screen ;)
I am only a game hobbyist and might not be qualified to give you advices. However, I think I will just give you a piece of suggestion. Since you have a lot of programming experience and had started to look at some opengl and directx books, why dont you start building some simple games during your free time? Just start from simple 2d game that doesnt require too much graphics and work your way up. Usually you need a good portfolio to get hired.
www.dannylum.com/games_projects.html - My Game Projectswww.dannylum.com/D2DProject - My Open Source 2D Map Editor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement