• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RobinOfSweden

Modding Games?

This topic is 4266 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I'm really new to game programming etc.? I am considering to start with modding games like Half Life 2, Dreamfall etc. But what do I need to know/learn in order to mod games like this, and what software etc. do I need? I really appreaciate any info I get. Thanks/ Robin

Advertisement
Honestly I would not suggest starting with HL2 for game programming. It's extremely complicated to work with, requires a good understanding of the language, a lot of time to explore the different components. The source has something like a thousand files, it's not something you want to dig into unless you're willing to kill a LOT of time on it.

A huge part of the SOURCE is uncommented and therefore you need to manually figure out what's going on, spend hours navigating through the dependencies to figure out what a function really does and how.

I've been devving a mod with my team for this game for the past 2 years, it's certainly been a bumpy ride, even for somebody with a degree in computer science...

since ur new to programin and want to mod u should start by modding doom 3 witch

has alot of video tutorials or text tuorials

-on how to make ur own charecters
-on how to make ur own particlas
-guis scripting
-level-scripting
-makeing nerw items
-on how to make ur own weapons
-all the basics

and alot mor stuff

it will be easier to mod doom 3 the hl2

usauly the game provbides the tools exept some

- a modeling program
- an ide (if ur gonna program hard core things or to the easiest thing)
-a level editor (usault provided by the game

if u want to learn to code get some books on coding
theres a good refrence of books here

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!