• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Subotron

custom matrix only works if I use negative z-axis [SOLVED]

This topic is 4368 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yesterday I've reconstructed my camera class, since it suffered from gimbal lock, and I wanted to implement quaternions for later use in a 3rd person camera. Everything seems to work fine, except for one thing: I draw a heightmap starting in the origin, in the direction of x and -z. Let me make it a little bit more clear with my ascii art: Z |xxxxxx0 |xxxxxxx |xxxxxxx --------------- X | | | the x's are the heightmap, coordinates of point 0 (top right) are [7][-3] (with [x][z]). In this setting, everything works. I point my camera down the negative z axis, and I see the map (providing I'm not standing 'above' it). However, if I multiply all the z-coordinates of the heightmap by -1, and I point the camera down the z-axis in the positive direction, I see nothing. This is not a matter of standing at the wrong side, I also inverted that coord. This is what I do: Initialize the camera, giving it a position.xyz and direction.xyz The position is stored and used later. The direction is stored in a vector, which I normalize. I create a non-unit quaternion out of this vector.* I normalize this quaternion. I convert the quaternion to a matrix every time I render.* I load this matrix. I translate over the inverse camera position. I draw the landscape. * I found the functions to do this in some articles, so I'm pretty sure it's right. Note: I use a different way to calculate the quaternion of the direction vector if the direction vector is [x=0, y=0, z=1], since my global conversion doesn't work for this one, but that's not the problem. Both conversions work, and the error doesn't only occur for direction = [0, 0, 1]. Even weirder is, if I look towards negative z-axis, I can perform a full rotation around the y-axis (which is up), so I actually achieve to look in the positive z-direction. However, doing a positive rotation around the y-axis makes the camera rotate to the left. I think it should rotate to the right... If any code or an exe is needed, please let me know!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Subotron
However, if I multiply all the z-coordinates of the heightmap by -1, and I point the camera down the z-axis in the positive direction, I see nothing. This is not a matter of standing at the wrong side, I also inverted that coord.

Flipping the Z coordinates of each point inverts the vertex order of your triangles. They coould thus be getting backface-culled.

Try turning off backface culling and see if this is your problem. If so, you need to switch the orders of the indices used to draw each triangle.

EDIT: Unless this is what you meant by "standing at the wrong side".

oh my god... you fixed my problem within a minute :)

Thanks a lot! I actually thought of disabling backface culling yesterday, but I totally forgot now...

Only 'problem' left is the x-axis being 'inverted' (positive x is to the left, negative to the right), but this is to be expected. I'll probably fix that in another minute :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!