Sign in to follow this  
chicknstu

Dungeon Master Style Games...

OK, here's a challenge. Throw as much info at me as possible about how games like this are made, using 2D graphics routines only! Where do you start!?! Are there any resources (like placeholder graphics) that people can throw at me? ANY help appreciated :) Stu

for thoses games im guessing completly premade(with 3d look) graphics,
to start draw some scenes, then put them in a program (something like vb6 would do)

yeah those aren't 3d at all, it's all premade graphics. That's why every left turn looks identical. I would personally have a map that provides indices into a list that tells you where special items reside.

Actually, I'd make a raytracer before I made that.

Actually, I'd just make a BSP and go actual 3D.

But then, that's me.

Way back, like 1992, on the Amiga I worked with a bloke from the UK on a Hired Guns style engine (which is basically a dungeon master style engine taken a bit further to include rendering a 3D map). I wrote a tool that would take a 2D tile/texture and then create a sprite/blit set rendering every possible angle/location it could be on screen. This technique worked pretty well and we even had animated sets, like a wall size vent fan.

Characters were 2D drawings obviously with a set for each distance they could be on the screen.

Probably not helpful, but thats my actual experience with this style of game :)