• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alec

Getting started: Where can I find C-sources? Which compiler? (win98)

9 posts in this topic

Well, The best place to start would be to download the directx sdk from microsoft. It comes with a lot more examples then just ploting a few pixels on the screen. I would assume that you know thier address?

If it is not there anymore, then I can't really help you anymore then to say to get it. There are some websites that allow you to download it, but I don't know which ones. I'm sure that someone here will tell you.

Good luck.

Thanks, Wallace.. ehh.. I mean Gromit, I'm dling DirectX 7.0 SDK right now. It's kinda huge. Maybe I am getting started here.

But what about the C-compiler? Opinions, anyone?

-Alec-

Visual C++ 6.0 Introductory Edition

It's not free, but pretty close. I've been told that it comes with some of the DirectX programming books out there.

If you can let go of $68 for a few weeks, BUY.COM has MS Visual C++ 6.0 Standard for $68 but you get a mail in rebate for $50. Not a bad deal for $18 (plus shipping, of course).

Thanks for your posts, Strabbi & rperkins.

But isn't there anything else out there but the Official MS Product(TM)? I've heard there are free ones, too.

-Alec-

(46Mb downloaded...)

To deal with the MS "monster" you would be much better off with Visual C++. Free software, like DJGPP, while good, doesn't compare to the nice IDE of Visual C++. Add to that the fact that DirectX is geared towards Visual C++ in several ways, and you really need it.

- Splat

WATCOM can be a good compiler for DX-programs, too. But the ugly IDE really s....

Alec, if you are a student the PROFESSIONAL versions of Borland C++ Builder 4 and MS Visual C++ 6 are EACH $99. BUY ONE OF THEM...they are the best currently availible for Windows / DirectX Development...i own both and a few others to boot. DO NOT BUY the learning or introductory edition of anything....if you did...return it and upgrade. If you don't have a school book store that will order the software for you....look online for student pricing...just go to microsoft or inprise's web sites.
The free compiler's don't cut it for windows ;for dos...yes...or even if you want to do cross platform development...but they lack the extra help you get from Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder.
One word of caution: Borland Builder is great...but it hides the traditional compiler behind it's RAD development tools, so expect to spend a few hours learning how to make NORMAL (not component based) programs with it...but once you learn...it's just as good (maybe better)....I use Visual C++ 6 at work...and since all SDK's are developed with/for it...it's easy

I have experience in programming, and I'm even studying for a degree in computer science. Now that I would like to pick up where I left in game programming (in the old Atari days), I'm facing this MS monster.. Windows and DirectX.

All I need is a ready-made program (in C), that initializes a full screen window (in win98), and a few functions to draw pixels on it. Is that too much to ask? The rest I can figure out myself. Or if I can't, I'll post another question, but now, I just want to get this thing started! Can you please help me, people?

Thanks in advance,

-Alec-

And hey, a free C-compiler would be nice. Which one do you recommend? (and where can I get it?)

Hey dont put down DJGPP.(hehe), if yo want to make MS games in Windoz you need a(or the only good) MS product,get MSV++ 6.0 Standered