[Java]Basic Isometric Issue

Started by
1 comment, last by AnotherAmateur 17 years, 6 months ago
Hello, This is my first post on this forum, although i have visted this site on and off for a couple of years. I am an amateur programmer currently trying to create an isometric tile editor. I have been using this article for techniques - http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article747.asp I am having trouble with the section "mouse matters", when the tile image is colored at corners, in order to + or - the selected row/col. I understand how this works. Currently my program creates the colored diamonds at the click of a button. The tile size is 198*100. Clicking on the tile then displays the row/col, as well as the internal coordinates of that tile (mouseX,mouseY). I have been stuck for a week on how to get the RGB color of the pixel on the tile. I am using JLabels instead of bufferedimages. PixelGrabber does not work, and after extensive googling, i read it is apparently very bad to use it anyway since java 1.1. As i am incapable of getting it to work, is anyone aware of another method to use, explained simply? I do not know what code i need to post. i assume any code has to go into the area where the ActionEvent (mouseclick) occurs. regards A.A.
Advertisement
Use buffered image instead of JLabel and use the getRGB method. JLabel is probably a poor choice for storing a mousemap. Even if you need to display the mousemap to the user, you don't need a JLabel.

You'll get an integer representing a pixel in the TYPE_INT_ARGB color model (see docs linked below).

So if you need to get the RGB out... can do something along the lines..

int red = 0xffff0000; //(the format is AARRGGBB)
int blue = 0xff0000ff;
int green = 0xff00ff00;
int white = 0xffffffff;

int pixel = mouseMap.getRGB(mouseX, mouseY);

if(pixel == red) ; //etc...

Docs:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/awt/image/BufferedImage.html#getRGB(int,%20int)
--before honor is humility--
Hi, and thanks for reply.

I got the method to work, to an extent.
My program can create a "templateMap" consisting of the colored diamonds and using RGB to get row/col offsets.. My program can also create a "normalMap" consisting of normal diamond tiles.

Alone, they both work, but not together (when they form 2 seperate layers).

I intend to have the "templateMap" at the bottom, with a mouseListener picking up RGB values. On top of that will be the "normalMap" which the user clicks and the row/col will be displayed, depending on the RGB values from "templateMap".

I just need to link htese 2 together and hope it works.

thankyou for help,

A.A.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement