Edited

Started by
83 comments, last by reana1 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight (edited for length)
[...]

I'm with you.

I'm not.
What's wrong with drinking some amount once in a while?
And what about all this "breaking important laws", capn_midnight? Since when is not-drinking an "important law"? Since you said that?

I don't think it's that important, and I was breaking it all the time, all my friends were, before we were "adults" (18 in Poland) - yes, it was forbidden, but nobody was making a big fuss about it. Eventually everybody (that I know) became "good citizens" and nobody has any alcohol-related problems.

Quote:Original post by Zahlman
OP: If you're really the good kid you seem to think you are, and you "blew a .2" (as in 0.20 BAC) your first time "drinking and going to a party", then you must be mind-bogglingly deficient in at least one of: self-awareness; resistance to peer-pressure; education about alcohol. In any event I suggest you get some kind of counselling, and hit the books (or Wikipedia).

Oh, it struck me hard - how fast you can draw conclusions about someone.
"You get drunk once - you've got problems with yourself."
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
Raghaghaghghg SERIOUS BUSINESS

Why should they act like adults if they're not adults? Surely if they're young enough that the state is allowed to decide whether or not they can drink alcohol, then surely they must be children and not adults? Surely if their parents get informed when they break the law, then they must still be children?

Surely if they're too young to be able to decide to drink, then they're quite clearly too young to be able to face legal consequences for it. I don't see how you can have it both ways.

Also, sorry, but drinking at the age of 18 is not alcoholism, regardless of whether it's legal or not.

Thank christ I live in the UK, is all I can say. For all our faults, at least we treat 18 year olds like adults. Informing parents... what is this? High school?

For the record, the drinking age is 18 here, and I didn't drink underage (although mainly because I was pressured into it by my peers, and peer-pressure will usually make me do the opposite of what I'm being pressured into out of spite, because I don't like people trying to badger me into things)
Quote:
For all our faults, at least we treat 18 year olds like adults. Informing parents... what is this? High school?

The police will never inform your parents if you break the law after you turn eighteen. You are no longer their responsibility, and it is none of their business what you do. I am fairly sure colleges follow the same practice.

CM
Quote:Original post by Conner McCloud
Quote:
For all our faults, at least we treat 18 year olds like adults. Informing parents... what is this? High school?

The police will never inform your parents if you break the law after you turn eighteen. You are no longer their responsibility, and it is none of their business what you do. I am fairly sure colleges follow the same practice.

CM

Iirc, colleges serve "in loco parentis". For example, this gives them the power to ban the possession of guns in the dorms, even though the vast majority of students in the dorms are over 18.

@Dovyman, I think you were too harsh on the Capn.

@deffer, alcohol is a big issue in the USA for a lot of reasons, but mostly because of the prevelance of cars. It's one thing to stumble drunk as a skunk onto the train for a ride home at 3 am, it's another thing to navigate a car at 45 mph. Beyond that, there is plenty of puritanism and vestigal prohibition at work in the USA.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:

@deffer, alcohol is a big issue in the USA for a lot of reasons, but mostly because of the prevelance of cars. It's one thing to stumble drunk as a skunk onto the train for a ride home at 3 am, it's another thing to navigate a car at 45 mph. Beyond that, there is plenty of puritanism and vestigal prohibition at work in the USA.
I don't find that a hard problem to fix: simply make it mandatory that all new cars must be equiped with a breathalizer that will not allow the car to be turned on unless the driver can blow at a legal level.

Is it REALLY that hard to do? No. Would it solve a lot of problems? Yep.

Heck, if you don't want to do that, we could - oh, I don't know - invest in public transportation? [smile]
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Quote:Original post by SticksandStones
Quote:

I don't find that a hard problem to fix: simply make it mandatory that all new cars must be equiped with a breathalizer that will not allow the car to be turned on unless the driver can blow at a legal level.

Heck, if you don't want to do that, we could - oh, I don't know - invest in public transportation? [smile]

It would be more politically feasible than public transportation (or raising mileage standards for that matter).
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Capn, I hear ya.

But I just think that each situation is different, so while it's natural to stereotype, maybe I can tell you a little more about myself so you have a better picture. I used to party a lot in high school. I would go out, get drunk, smoke, hook up with girls, drive. It sounds worse than it probably was, but I definitely was invovled in a lot of things that could have gotten me in trouble for sure. In the summer I decided I would change when I came to Penn State (one of the big reasons I initially wanted to come here was to party tho). I decided I wanted to get good grades, meet Christian friends, join the military, just do something important with my life for a change. And I'm trying pretty darn hard. But do you know how hard it is to just drop everything you used to know for fun? Haha probably not. It's not as simple as just giving in to peer pressure.

Friday night I didn't think a couple shots would harm anyone. And it didn't, but two shots later I stopped caring how much I'd drink that night. So it was a mistake. Big deal. Sh*t happens. I'll accept it. But now I'm just wondering how this is going to affect my future, which is the purpose of this post. Doesn't seem like it's going to affect things at all. Hopefully now you don't see me as some horrible, morally-lacking individual like every single person that ever drinks underage is, but if not, well that's your problem. You could have just as easily gotten caught, but you didn't and I'm glad you don't have to have this on your back b/c it's rather annoying.

Anyway, to everyone else haha I def overreacted. The hangover had something to do with it. I think they do send a letter to your parents by the way.

Quote:Original post by SticksandStones
Quote:

I would support that actually ... Is it any different than buckling up for your own safety?
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Quote:Original post by skittleo
Friday night I didn't think a couple shots would harm anyone. And it didn't, but two shots later I stopped caring how much I'd drink that night. So it was a mistake. Big deal. Sh*t happens. I'll accept it. But now I'm just wondering how this is going to affect my future, which is the purpose of this post.

Ok, that sounds like it's the self-awareness one, then. This may well affect your future in the sense that such an experience may suggest a genetic predisposition towards alcoholism. Be careful.

But as for your TEH KRIMINALZ REKORDZ, I'm with the others: chillax already. Just start acting like the I-know-better person that you are. You're not a marked man now or anything.
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight...

/me bends over capn_midnight

No hope of pulling that out.

You screwed up, everybody does it. Explain it to your parents before they hear about it from somewhere else and move on. Its not that big of a deal. They should be happy you were trying to walk home instead of drive somewhere. You can have a social life and get a bit crazy sometimes. Life isn't just about reading books and jerking around on computers.
Quote:Original post by owl
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
Quote:Original post by furby100
Quote:Original post by Bossk
Quote:Original post by ArchWizard
When I saw this thread's title, I thought I'd be reading about a 16-year-old girl. And you. Having illegal sex.

So did I.

I was severely disappointed.

As did I. Since we think so alike, we should all form a secret society for nefarious purposes.

oh god i thought same thing. Tho that's partly by association; because i talked with few underage girls yesterday (just talked, i did meet some friends who asked me to juggle, i juggled. Later on those underage girls approached me asking if i work at circus etc so... i just were polite and juggled for them too and we talked a little, esp. because we were going in same direction for few minutes. Also they told me that i'm not looking like 21, more like 16..17 . Hmm. Made me feel really old)

You're heading towards Guantanamo this way. Beware!

Guantanamera! Guajira Guantanamera!

uh oh oh uh huh.
edit: wait. If i cooperate and give out out those friends who persuaded me into juggling, i.e. top leaders of jugglingrism, will that help? [grin]

[Edited by - Dmytry on October 16, 2006 6:19:10 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement