• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Starting with Direct'whatever'

This topic is 4144 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So i wanna learn some DirectDraw or 3D or whatever, what stuff do i need? Headers, libraries etc. I read something about stdafx.h but i dont really understand it. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
What programming experience, if any, have you got?

DirectDraw and Direct3D are both parts of DirectX. You will need the latest version of the DirectX SDK from Microsoft. If you're using Visual Studio, then the appropriate paths should be added to your include paths. Otherwise, you'll need to add them yourself.

stdafx.h has nothing at all to do with any of the above. It's a default header file created by Visual Studio when you create a new Win32 project. It's used for precompiled headers I believe. I (along with the majority of others, if I understand correctly) normally just start from an empty project, meaning I don't use this.

Thx!

I have some programming experience, but not any directx. I was hoping i could get some knowledge of windows programming at the smae time, cause ive been using glut sofar when using windows.

Well the only DirectX stuff I've done is playing around with Managed DirectX under C#.NET. I currently working on my Win32 programming, and I suspect trying to cover DirectX and Win32 concurrently might be a little heavy, although I can't be certain due to lack of experience. WINAPI itself isn't too bad - with MSDN, and a bit of general programming experience, you're unlikely to encounter too many problems.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement