• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Equating arrays

This topic is 4150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If i have two arrays: int a1[10]; int a2[10]; and a1 is initialized, whats a good way make a2 equal a1. the compiler doesn't let me do a2 = a1 so do i have to do a loop or something. is there a faster way? Thanks.

Advertisement
You can use either memcpy or just copy it by hand. (A for loop and copy each element)

edit: PS - Use a vector. [wink]

Using the std::library:
std::copy(a1,&a1[sizeof(a1)/sizeof(a1[0])],a2);

Or using boost:

boost::array<int,10> a1;
boost::array<int,10> a2;

a1 = a2;

Nitage has the right idea(s), assuming an array is the correct model for your data storage. (Although usually one would just write the middle calculation as pointer arithmetic: 'a1 + sizeof(a1)/sizeof(a1[0])'.) In C++, there's really no reason to use something as primitive as memcpy(). (BTW, std::copy comes from the <algorithm> header.)

But if you can't tell me *why* your arrays are *exactly* 10 elements long, and any other value wouldn't make sense, then I would suggest to you to use std::vector, yes.

Of course, if you're working in C (poor you), then memcpy() is your best bet. I'll let you look that up on your own because I really don't like to encourage people to use C.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement