• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Difference between Computer Science and Computer Engineering?

This topic is 4151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Working on college and major choices and I've come at a bit of a cross-roads. For wanting to get into game development/design/programming, what is the best route to go? I'm currently looking at Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Software Engineering. I took a look at Epic Games job opening and it says that it prefers people with Computer Science degrees, but it seems personally to me that Engineering fits more of the mold for the job openings, but I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about and they do. So I'm asking you people who do know better and can explain to me, what is the best major to take? Should I double major? Have a Major/Minor? I'm also thinking about attending The Guild Hall at SMU which specializes in Game development for 2 years after you receive a bachelors. Any hints, tips, and comments about that are appreciated as well.

Advertisement
The previous poster's links will suffice for the CS vs SE. The Computer Engineeering, however, is pretty much a completely different field that doesn't logically belong on that list. It is like electrical engineering with a lot of computer architecture type stuff (which involves a lot of programming, but not like the others).

Quote:
Original post by smitty1276
The previous poster's links will suffice for the CS vs SE. The Computer Engineeering, however, is pretty much a completely different field that doesn't logically belong on that list. It is like electrical engineering with a lot of computer architecture type stuff (which involves a lot of programming, but not like the others).

To add to that, the CE option is more viable if you are looking into console hardware development. Otherwise CS or SE (or even a DigiPen/FullSail degree) should suffice for game programming.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement