Anybody still interested in a SICP/Scheme study group?

Started by
37 comments, last by okonomiyaki 17 years, 5 months ago
What exactly does mentoring entail? I'm interested, but I'm not going to commit until I hear what I am getting myself into ;)
Advertisement
I'm no Scheme expert, but having recently studied it (our university use SICP&Scheme to teach introduction to programming :) I might be able to help. I've also written some smaller Scheme-like interpreters and have a pretty good grasp on the concepts ;)

However, as The Reindeer Effect I think it would be good to set the level before one commits oneself to do alot of work ;)

-Marten
Quote:What exactly does mentoring entail? I'm interested, but I'm not going to commit until I hear what I am getting myself into ;)

Always pays to be careful [smile]

Responsibilities: Initially, setting up a reasonable schedule. Dropping by the forum to check people in need of help and helping them. Providing useful insights into the subject matter if possible.

No hard real-time requirements. We just need people to oversee the process and help the students. Moderation will be carried by a separate moderator/staffer, so mentors don't have to worry about that.

Just checking to see what's going on on front and to remind people to post if they want to join us or are interested in mentoring.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I'd love to join, as a student obviously.
Quote:Original post by Muhammad Haggag
Quote:What exactly does mentoring entail? I'm interested, but I'm not going to commit until I hear what I am getting myself into ;)

Always pays to be careful [smile]

Responsibilities: Initially, setting up a reasonable schedule. Dropping by the forum to check people in need of help and helping them. Providing useful insights into the subject matter if possible.

No hard real-time requirements. We just need people to oversee the process and help the students. Moderation will be carried by a separate moderator/staffer, so mentors don't have to worry about that.

Well, I can't make any promises (particularly with finals getting close), but I would probably be able to help people out with some things. I assume that people will just post their problems in For Beginners or General Programming? Also, could your clarify what you mean by "overseeing the process?"
I probably wouldn't be a mentor, but like I said, I could help people out with some problems.
Bump.
I would love to do this, as a student. Keep me updated.
I'd really like to see this happen. I desperately want to learn Scheme, but I just can't learn it from them video lectures. I think that a study group would help me get past whatever boundaries I seem to be facing right now (namely, how the heck do I do anything other than calculating Fibonacci numbers?!?).
Given I now have a bit more time (and am a bit more comfortable with Scheme ;) I can "increase" my offer a bit. I could function as a teacher/mentor, however I won't do it alone ;)
If there is anyone else who want to help out and have a bit more experience with running this kind of thing (I know my way around coding and Scheme, but never been a teacher.), and even if not, we should/could start discussing the scope, content and pace maybe?

-Marten

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement