MMO engine

Started by
5 comments, last by Add 17 years, 6 months ago
Can someone please tell me a mmo engine, like the one that made maplestory, or ragnarok. If you can't please tell me how to make a game engine. I'm an beginner/intermediate at c++.If you can,pleae tell me some links for learning more c++, so i can learn more.
Advertisement
www.google.com
is your friend
I do not mean to be rude, but since you say you are really a beginner to C++ then I suggest you stay away from MMO's at this time. MMO's are complex suckas. I suggest you learn MMO stuff when you have MULTIPULE (I do mean MULTIPULE) years of expierence in programming.

Also, about game engines, I suggest you just learn more C++ and learn a graphics API. As you learn those more and more, your knowledge will begin to expand to where you will have an idea on how to create a game engine (still not a MMO one though).

I did not mean for this post to sound rude one bit, but I was just telling you the truth.

Chad
Try doing some 2D (non-MMO)RPGs first. Then move onto 3D, if you want to make a 3D MMO, and make a small (or possibly large) game with a 3D engine. Then if you still want to create an MMO, go for it.
God is not all-powerful, as he cannot build a wall he cannot jump.Stelimar Website: eddy999999.ed.funpic.org/Stelimar/index.html
Quote:Original post by Eddy999999
Try doing some 2D (non-MMO)RPGs first. Then move onto 3D, if you want to make a 3D MMO, and make a small (or possibly large) game with a 3D engine. Then if you still want to create an MMO, go for it.

And before you start working on those you should have completed some (at least one) text based game. You will see that even with those you will learn a lot of the basics of game programming .
My Blog
Moving to For Beginners.
This tends to always be my guide, but...

http://www.apress.com/book/supplementDisplay.html?bID=218&sID=1165

If you check out this link, it has a list of important C++ concepts, ok it is only a table of contents but, you can google around these to get descriptions and tutorials relating to the areas.

Once you're comfortable with this, it would be time to learn a graphics API: OpenGL, Direct3d, SDL are but to name but a few of the options, for these 3 at least there is a lot of good on-line resources for, which are easily accessible from your good friend google.

And then (and only then), should you look at writing a basic graphics engine, which is by no means an easy task. I don't want to create the illusion that the task is impossible, but it is worth noting, you have a lot of hard work between you and your goal.

If you try to do too much beyond your level of competence you are more than likely going to create a wealth of messy code, that will end up being incomplete. Work through the stages though and you'll stand a better chance of reaching your goal.

Good luck with the hard work!
"The FFT - an algorithm the whole family can use" ... and for my next joke...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement