boo?

Started by
4 comments, last by Rob Loach 17 years, 6 months ago
ive been looking at boo lately, and i have a few questions(like always): what is the difference between boo and python, code wise? are the makers of boo nonprofit like python? what can boo do that python cant? which one is better for game making>? which one's more popular, boo or python?
Advertisement
I've personally never heard of Boo, but I've heard plenty about Python. Thus, I'm pretty sure Python is a lot more popular / well known. Generally, things that are widely used are better than little-known things. I'd personally follow the masses and use Python.

Anyway, I'm tired now, so I can't really do any research. Google knows an AWFUL lot more than me. Ask Google. :-)

Good luck,
Adam
Quote:what is the difference between boo and python, code wise?

Boo is largely syntatically based off Python with a few major differences (.net framework and static typing)

read more about it here:
http://boo.codehaus.org/Gotchas+for+Python+Users

Quote:are the makers of boo nonprofit like python?

Couldn't find a real answer, but I'm guessing no. The license is based off MIT/BSD (open source)

Quote:what can boo do that python cant?

Use the .net framework
static typing option (resolve type operations at compile time)

Quote:which one is better for game making?

That's up to you. Python has a much larger support base though.

Quote:which one's more popular, boo or python?

Definitely python, although this shouldn't be the only weight in your final decision.

The bottom line is that they are syntatically so similar that if you learn one the other will take a matter of days to learn. I'd recommend starting with Python just because theres such a larger user base for it.
There's Python, IronPython, and Boo. Python is just a programming language, IronPython is a .NET implementation of Python, and Boo is a .NET language with Python-inspired syntax.

Here's my general rule that I have applied to Boo:

If you're coming from a Python background and want to try some .NET stuff, take a look at IronPython. If you're coming from C#/VB.NET background and want to try out the Python syntax with your .NET code, take a look at Boo.

I came to this conclusion because while IronPython is the .NET implementation of Python and sticks as close to Python as possible, Boo sticks closer to .NET. There are some weird Python-like things that came into IronPython (the underscores) that were replaced with more .NET naming conventioned code in Boo.

Quote:Original post by Zaku
what is the difference between boo and python, code wise?
As I said, IronPython sticks closer to Python, while Boo is just a .NET language with Python-inspired syntax. This means that Boo is easier to use if you're familiar with .NET and want to try out some Python syntax, while IronPython is good if you want to try out some .NET functionality with your Python code.

are the makers of boo nonprofit like python?
All three projects are open-source. Python is licensed under the GPL, while Boo is licensed under the less-restrictive MIT license. IronPython's license agreement is right here.

what can boo do that python cant?
A better question is do you find .NET code easier to do things in then unmanaged code?

which one is better for game making>?
Same thing applies.

which one's more popular, boo or python?
Python is most definately more popular then both Boo and IronPython. IronPython vs Boo though? I'm not sure. Both Boo and IronPython have been around for quite some time and both are compatible with Mono. That's a good question.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
what exactly is .NET? what benefits does it have?

is ironpython basically a faster version on python? for ironpython, do i need to learn it, or is the syntax the same as python?
.NET is a framework that Microsoft put together to help developers make software. When programming in C++, you had a restricted toolset and were almost forced to use third party middleware if you wanted rapid application development. With .NET, you're provided an easy way to create applications, games, tools, websites, etc. On top of that, you can write the applications with the framework in pretty much any .NET compliant language, including IronPython and Boo (you're not restricted to C++).

Along the road, the famous Miguel de Icaza came along and took a look at how .NET worked and instantly started up Mono, an open-source .NET implementation for Linux, Mac, Windows, etc, sponsored by Novell. Mono has inspired many and has grown very popular in the past year.

The speed difference between Python and IronPython is debatable, just like the speed difference with C++ and C#. IronPython's syntax is pretty much the same as Python's. The only reason you'd use IronPython/Boo over Python is the fact that you can use .NET tools and frameworks in it.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement