• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Majirok

OpenGL Which window system do you use?

This topic is 4411 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, Having used OpenGL for a while now, I've almost exclusively used glut or my own window system (similar to Nehe's) to handle my window management. Glut is good, but it can be restrictive at times as I'm sure you're all aware. Using my own window system is ok but I'd prefer something more robust and developed to be honest. I've been looking around at the alternatives and some of them seem very promising (GLFW for instance). Anyway, I just wanted to research a bit and find out what window system you use, and why?

Advertisement
If your goal is to have cross platform portability you need to use GLUT, FreeGLUT or OpenGLUT. There are other frameworks but I've not yet tested them. I would like to have a better one too. OGLWFW should be a choice but since now it seems not yet cross platform.
Kind regards

Guest Anonymous Poster
SDL!

I can definitely vouch for GLFW as a very good substitue for GLUT. It's much more powerful and versatile, very small, portable, and also very well documented and easy to use/produces nice looking code.

Quote:
Original post by shurcool
produces nice looking code.

utterly subjective and not really a point of recommendation imo, for example I can't stand the C interface on most libs (yay for all those functions required to setup stuff) as such I'd argue my C++ OO lib produces nice looking code... except I didn't because as I said, subjective [smile]

Quote:
Original post by CELUI_ADMIN
If your goal is to have cross platform portability you need to use GLUT, FreeGLUT or OpenGLUT. There are other frameworks but I've not yet tested them. I would like to have a better one too. OGLWFW should be a choice but since now it seems not yet cross platform.
Kind regards

sdl is crossplatform also, its also updated regulary, opensource, stable, used by thousands etc
glut hasnt been updated this century

Quote:
Original post by phantom
Quote:
Original post by shurcool
produces nice looking code.
utterly subjective and not really a point of recommendation imo, for example I can't stand the C interface on most libs (yay for all those functions required to setup stuff) as such I'd argue my C++ OO lib produces nice looking code... except I didn't because as I said, subjective [smile]
True, and I'm pretty old fashioned when it comes to libraries, so I haven't had a chance to work with many of the newer ones. What I really meant was you're not forced to setup callback functions and enter a GLUT main loop. Instead, the main loop control is completely in your hands, you just call GLUT to open a window and swap the backbuffer, etc. I guess that's pretty standard these days though, but it was nice back when I switched over from GLUT.

I have to admit GLFW is not without a few shortcomings, one being is that I'd wish the display format setup/query could be a bit more rigorous. Might be just me, though.

Just my 2 cents.

PS. No offense to your OGLWFW library. In fact, I glanced over it just now and it looks interesting, so I might check it out sometime.

SDL since it fits in my design and handles events nicely. It it can't handle the event(like the mouse x1 and x2 (forward, backward) buttons) that I need, I can easily modify it to allow for it. For image-loading I use devil and for sound it will probably be fmod since I don't like the way SDL handles theese things.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!