• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ceoddyn

Simple Volume Question

This topic is 4239 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I took a very important test which contained something along the lines of the following question: A point C is 6 inches from plane M. Find the portion of volume that contains all points in between point C and plane M at most 12 inches from point C. I read it to mean the following: However, the only way I could get a correct answer out of the multiple choices (5 of them!), I had to make the 12 inches start on plane M just below point C (so the 12 inches is a leg and not the hypotenuse). Basically what I'm asking is, did anyone else take this very important test and find this error, or did I infact make the error?

Advertisement
Do you know what the answers were?
I belive you should be able to do it this way, as it does seem like a cone really:
radius of base = sqrt(12*12+6*6)
= sqrt(108)
volume of cone = 1/3*6*(pi*r*r)
= 1/3*6*108pi
= 216pi

Maybe this isn't what you want but that's how it appeared to me. Hope it helps.

Firstly, I think this is non-game related and therefore is disallowed on this forum.

But while we are at it anyway, I don't think this figure should be a cone at all. For example, consider the point in your diagram where the text "12" is written, that point is also between C and plane of M and lies within 12 inches of C. Therefore, to me it looks more like a hemisphere with center at C with a radius of 12 inches, cut off by the plane M, and basically you have to find the volume of the remaining portion.

Definitely not allowed on the forum [smile]

Anyway, finding the volume of a cone would be way too easy. Why would they go through the trouble of defining a plane M if they could just as easily have said "find the volume of a cone with such and such properties"? Also, whenever you see the phrase "at most X units away from some point P", that's a dead giveaway you're dealing with a spherical shape. I'd say this problem was meant to test your ability to integrate an area with respect to one of its variables to determine a volume, subject to a constraint that determines the integration bounds.

This topic is 4239 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.