Cg and a CgFX shader file

Started by
3 comments, last by griffin2000 17 years, 6 months ago
What is the difference between Cg and a CgFX shader file? Should I learn CgFX for NVIDIA FX composer?
akira32 編程之家 Yahoohttp://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/akira32-akira32
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by akira32
Should I learn CgFX for NVIDIA FX composer?

I don't really know that much about CG (other than random complaints people have), but IIRC FX Composer only authors HLSL effects. The big use of CG seems to be if you need a cross-platform shading language/interface (generally, if you are working with OpenGL).
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Although CgFX shading language is very similar to HLSL language, you can't produce CgFX shaders using FXComposer.

By the way, does anybody know an IDE for creating CgFX shaders? I couldn't find one.

Quote:Original post by glJack
By the way, does anybody know an IDE for creating CgFX shaders? I couldn't find one.

Notepad
deathkrushPS3/Xbox360 Graphics Programmer, Mass Media.Completed Projects: Stuntman Ignition (PS3), Saints Row 2 (PS3), Darksiders(PS3, 360)
CG is a sub-set of CGFX. CGFX includes the FX framework for encapsulating CG pixel and vertex function in "techniques" and "passes". It doesn't add any functionality but it make it easy to handle multiple techniques/passes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement