• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Best book to learn Vertex and Pixel shaders?

This topic is 4147 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I am looking for a good book to introduce myself to the Vertex and Pixel shaders, if possible using HLSL. They suggested me Shaderx2 but I'm not sure. It's also expensive (44£ for a used one!) I would go for this one http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/395787/Programming_Vertex_And_Pixel_Shaders/Product.html What do you think about it? Cheers!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by ufinii
They suggested me Shaderx2 but I'm not sure. It's also expensive (44£ for a used one!)
The ShaderX books are very good, but from what I understand they're more for the intermediate/advanced audience.

Quote:
Original post by ufinii
I would go for this one http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/395787/Programming_Vertex_And_Pixel_Shaders/Product.html
I have that book sitting next to me right now and whilst it has it's bad points it is definitely a usable book. Most importantly it is definitely approachable from a beginners perspective and covers a large number of use-cases for VS/PS development. By reading this book you'll have the prerequisite knowledge to take on the more "hardcore" books like GPU Gems and the ShaderX series.

<shameless-plug>
Watch out for the successor to this book. My name will be on it [grin]
</shameless-plug>

If you're looking to implement lighting models in shaders then I can't recommend this book enough. I love it - easy to read, informative and complete. At least I'll keep recommending it until I've written my part of the aforementioned book (okay, ignore me now [lol])

Cheers,
Jack

In this moment I am looking for a book describing the most common techniques as Bump mapping, displacement, cartoon rendering (it's very simple, I know), bloom.

Just to introduce myself to the shaders world.

I also need it to explain clearly the related maths (from world to tangent space for example).

If that book fits the requirements I will buy it tomorrow :P

What do you say about it?

p.s. thanks for the reply!

It doesn't cover cartoon rendering, but it covers everything else you mention (and more).

The publisher's homepage contains a PDF copy of the Table of Contents if you want to see what is/isn't included.

Once you've got the basics of shaders sorted then you'll be in a good position to start learning from the tutorials online as well as the numerous examples in ATI or Nvidia's SDK's. I wouldn't bother picking a book specifically on the merits of individual techniques - look at learning the general concepts before you specialize.

hth
Jack

Ok many thanks! I'm not interested in particular in the cartoon shading that is a very simple technique as I saw so far.

I will buy that book, thank you very much!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement