VS and DevC++

Started by
4 comments, last by nobodynews 17 years, 6 months ago
I got both VS Express 2005 and DevC++ in my computer, and I recently noticed differences between both. e.g. Win32 in VS uses LPCWSTR, etc. So far, most of the tutorials / codes I see on the net are more compatible with DevC++, and this caused a bit of confusion when I try doing the examples on VS. Should I stick to VS or DevC++ ?
Advertisement
I say Visual. IMO Visual is a MUCH better IDE. Lots of major features in it that kill Dev-CPP and it's Debugger is just awesome.

Also note, that this is coming from a person who used Dev-CPP for the longest time, and then swtiched to Visual to see how it was and I was actaully amazed with it.

Chad
I'd say it comes down to personal preference. Go with what you like more. I like VC++ Express a lot more personally. About the LPCWSTR thing, you know you can switch it out of Unicode back to 'normal' char right? If not, alt-F7 -> Configuration Properties->General and change 'Character Set' to 'Not Set'. By default it is set to Unicode.
Ok, thx for the opinion.
Maybe I should just use VC++ coz' it has more features and is probably more compatible with Microsoft libraries.

Btw, thx for the LPCWSTR thing you've just explained.
That was the only reason why I thought VC++ was annoying.
But dont forget that only Visual thing in Visual c++ is the word 'Visual' in it's name :D But nevertheless, I also think that it has killer debbuger. Never seen anything like it.
The difference you mentioned between DevC++ and VS is Unicode. Visual Studio 2005(and express edition apparently) have Unicode support turned on by default. To get an idea about Unicode take a look at this link:

http://www.jorendorff.com/articles/unicode/windows.html

Now, you can change the settings of Visual Studio so that Unicode is turned off. When you have your project opened click on Project and then click on ___ Properties where ___ is the name of the project. This brings up all of the properties for your project. THe main one you need to pay attention to is Configuration->General->Character Set. Set the character set to 'Not Set' for ASCII support.

My guess is that with time more and more tutorials will start to assume Visual C++ Express Edition. This is because for a long time the only free IDE you could get was DevC++. Along those lines, even earlier VC++ editions didn't use unicode by default. However, unicode support is getting more and more important so it would be good to get started on it soon.

Another difference you are probably referring to is the precompiled headers. You can turn these off as well, just look through the project properties.

Edit: didn't see that Dranith already covered unicode. My bad!

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement