• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Nokame

Game Plan

This topic is 4238 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

first off... i think i truely ask the dumbest questions sometimes... but I've been working on a game for about 3 months and I have been running into problems where i'll do something then move on... then later on i'll have to change what i've already done because of certain conflicts... so my question is... is there some special way to map out the way your going to make a game? a game plan or something to that nature... i mean there has to be because what i'm doing is ridiculously inefficient... go easy on me :)

Advertisement
Whether you make a plan or not, you will almost ALWAYS run into problems, and have to do changes. Once you get more and more experience with these things, you'll start to find out how to make it so these changes are easier. Yes, they're annoying and frustrating, but on the bright side, you just discovered a way how NOT to do the thing you're trying to do, and will walk away from the problem that much wiser.

i'd really like to see some idea layouts or whatever. does anyone ever do an outline of what they plan to write? thanks for your response, and your completely right about that. it is inevitable, but i'm sure there is some kind of happy medium :)

gpwiki.org has some articles on game design, also an article on how to design/make a game by yourself, without a team. Also, there are the game design articles here on GDNet.

if you write your code in an object oriented way then it makes programs a hell of a lot easier to modify without introducing complications. It wont solve all of your problems but it will certainly make things easier. Also have a look at using some design patterns which you can find info about using google or amazon.

Hi there, yeah, I think sometimes its extremely difficult. I find its easy to make lots of plans etc, even writing them out on paper, but sometimes you don't know how to implement what you've written, or other problems come up which you hadn't thought about?

The last big thing I worked on (big for me) I seem to have actually broken down into smaller parts. I've been working on a renderer for my gui and I was trying to do it all at once, but then I did the vertex buffer parts separately and now I've just started to do the bitmaps/textures side, (which I'm making a cache for) - it seems to be going ok now. - Also I better say that I lowered my expectations as well. It probably isn't going to be the most efficient gui!! But hopefully at least it may work, and I can always try to make it better later.

My advice would really be, plan things out on paper, but don't expect it to all go exactly as you want. When it starts getting difficult try and break it down into smaller parts. Also maybe you have to lower your expectations a bit and take a bit more time over it.

Change is pretty much a part of the process. To avoid it requires a lot of fore-thought and planning, but you're still going to run into the need to change.

I do all the time. I'll write code, come back to it later and see why that it sucks, and then fix it.

I agree, the fixing it is a pain, but it's part of the learning.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if there's a better way, but at the same time I don't really want to know because I want to just code code code and learn it all the hard way.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!