• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Breakout - ball to block collision

This topic is 4235 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am currently working on a breakout clone and am having some difficulty with this particular piece of code. I'm using the Allegro Library. Blocks are draw according to a 2D array. This is also in C plus plus. TILE_H = 10 TILE_W = 40 i = current tile_x in brick array j = current tile_y in brick array All of the following code takes place in a for loop. It just loops through the entire brick array. The following code correctly identifies the ball colliding with the bottom of a brick.
if ((ball1.x >= (i*TILE_W)) && ball1.x <= ((i*TILE_W)+TILE_W))
{
     //collision on the x axis
     if ((ball1.y >= (j*TILE_H)) && ball1.y <= (j*TILE_H)+TILE_H)
	{
	// collision on the y axis
	allegro_message("Collision:BOTTOM");
        }
}

I can't seem to figure out what the "opposite" code would be to detect a collision on the top of the brick? I've tried a few different ways but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Jay

Advertisement
I would have the position referens in the center.

ball.centerYoffset = ball.height >> 1;

ball.bottomEdge = ball.y - ball.centerYoffset;

if (ball.bottomEdge =< tile.y && ball.bottomEdge >= tile.topEdge)
{

}
else
if (ball.topEdge >= tile.y && ball.topEdge =< tile.bottomEdge)
{

}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!