October version of PIX

Started by
6 comments, last by jamesw 17 years, 5 months ago
The October version of PIX has been available for almost a week now. What do you guys think of the newest version? We are continuing to work on PIX for the next release on some more good stuff. Let me know if HLSL debugging isn't working for you or if it is. We want to continue making PIX the best tool for you. -Dave
Advertisement
Please don't think that because there are no replies yet that no one cares, we use PIX at work all the time and it is a valuable tool. Here's some feedback:

The debugging feature is huge. I've already used it to solve some issues. It would be extra slick if clicking each command took you to the doc for that command.

The biggest feature that PIX needs right now is the ability to see each render target / depth stencil surface. A lot of apps use floating point render targets to do most of the work and only render to the front buffer after all the work is done, so only seeing the front buffer isnt' very useful. I don't know if it is feasible to be able to see each render target after each draw call like it is done on PIXbox, but it would be invaluable.

More to come! I just didn't have enough time.
Quote:Original post by jamesw
It would be extra slick if clicking each command took you to the doc for that command.
I think I suggested something similar in the last release... the more HLSL becomes the primary tool the less you're likely to know about all of the assembly instructions the compiler generates. Therefore, when/where ASM instructions are visible in PIX it'd be pretty cool to link to the documentation and/or other info...

Quote:Original post by jamesw
The biggest feature that PIX needs right now is the ability to see each render target / depth stencil surface.
I don't have PIX to hand, but I was pretty sure you could do this already? On the SetRenderTarget() calls you can click on the new texture/surface address and view it. Same as if you go via the Object Browser (forget if thats the correct name)...

Last time I tried it, PIX was pretty much useless with HDRI textures (RT's or just plain textures) but this is a general problem with lots of art tools and processes I encounter. I had to write my own code to export a set of processed HDRI images for debugging.

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

My suggestion would be to make it as close to the XBOX version as possible.
hope this helps :-)
just double-checked...

if you double-click on the address of the off-screen render target in a SetRenderTarget function in the Events window, your framebuffer will be displayed in the surface tab of the Details window.
Quote:
Last time I tried it, PIX was pretty much useless with HDRI textures (RT's or just plain textures) but this is a general problem with lots of art tools and processes I encounter. I had to write my own code to export a set of processed HDRI images for debugging.

October version still doesn't save HDR textures correctly (values are clamped to 1). However TextureLoader.Save method works fine.
I've found PIX crashes fairly regularly when I try to debug pixel and vertex shaders. I will send in some repros.
Quote:I don't have PIX to hand, but I was pretty sure you could do this already? On the SetRenderTarget() calls you can click on the new texture/surface address and view it. Same as if you go via the Object Browser (forget if thats the correct name)...

Thanks! That's pretty tricky, I think it should be changed to be more like the PIXbox version where there is a persistant window and you can see what the state of the rendertargets are when you click on any d3d event, setRenderTarget or not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement