• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
anileapen06

OpenGL How to get hardware acceleration in opengl

This topic is 4386 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I really need to know how to get 3d acceleration support in opengl? I had downloaded from nehe 25 opengl lessons but they didn't feature any h/w acc?this was 2 years back..does the new lessons feature it?? HELP!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Errr ... I though all nehe tutorials used hardware 3D graphics? What makes you think what your running isn't hardware accelerated?

The basic rule is that if you have a graphics card, and your useing openGL then its useing your graphics card to render unless you've done something pretty tricky to swap out the graphics drivers for your own software ones!

i'm not sure what you are talking about, opengl is accelerated since it was created, like 15 years ago? you probably just don't have proper drivers installed.

Quote:
Original post by Delfi
i'm not sure what you are talking about, opengl is accelerated since it was created, like 15 years ago? you probably just don't have proper drivers installed.

Actually, OpenGL does not explicitly specify if there is hardware acceleration in operation. I believe OpenGL existed before hardware acceleration was readily available - most original implementations being purely software. Hardware acceleration is provided by the creator of the OpenGL driver if hardware acceleration is available (usually the hardware manufacturer writes the driver). OpenGL also works in software mode and should default to software if no hardware is available. Unlike DirectX, OpenGL emphasises consistancy in output. DirectX favours speed over quality. That doesn't mean DirectX is better/worse than OpenGL. Each system is built on different assumptions.

Skizz

I've got a geforce fx card..so no lack of an accelerator card..
opengl is supposed to default to sw if no hw is available but when i run my games i get dx to use hw acceleration,same also when running games in opengl
but i can't seem 2 get it to work when running an opengl program??

does opengl extensions have anything to do with it?!
if it's a driver problem how is it possible that the games work in opengl and not the programs??

"does opengl extensions have anything to do with it?!"

No, a GL extension means that the hw supports it.
If you are doing something odd and hit the drivers slow path, like if the driver has to convert data type, then things become slow.

Check that you are getting a accelerated pixel format
glGetString(GL_VENDOR);
glGetString(RENDERER);
glGetString(GL_VERSION);

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!