Which programming language to use?

Started by
9 comments, last by Benthos 17 years, 6 months ago
I am a senior in high school and decided to make a computer game for my senior project. I will exhibit and have middle school students play the game. The main problem is my home computers are PCs and the schools only have macs. I was thinking of using Java. What language should I use for it to be compatible on both with minimal coding change, and will Java be compatable on both?
Advertisement
I write my games in Java (using LWJGL), and they all work on PC and Mac - and I've never even tested them myself on a Mac. [grin] (They probably work on Linux too, but I don't tend to get many Linux testers).

Another alternative would be to use one of the Blitz languages - IIRC they're compatible with windows and mac, but you'll need to recompile it for each platform.
Java will almost certainly work on both.

If you can recompile, then C/C++ and SDL should work, as long as the Macs use OS X. However, if you already know Java, then that's the way to go.
I write my games in C# and run them with Mono on Linux and Mac. Tao lets me use OpenGL and SDL from C#.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
As said, Java will work fine. C++ will work if you can compile. C# will work if you have the tmie to use Mono/Tao (which I use as well).

But also:

ruby and Python (Pygame) will work cross platform too. And I know mac ships with a version of ruby already installed (of course the game wrapper libraries would need to be added as dependencies). It probably has Python by default too.
i write in java, saves a lot of time with premade classes (even if they can be... cryptic) and like everyone's been saying, works on mac/linux/windows.

It isn't as fast or natural-feeling as C/C++, but it gets the job done and if done right doesn't look like PASCAL.

*shiver*
Yeah, I would say go with Java. Since this is just a school project and you need it to be very cross platform. Pretty much anyother language would work as well but you would need to recompile probably. With java you can just compile it at home and run it at school.

If you did not have that requirement I would say go with c++/lua or python (although python can do like java if you have the python intrepeter installed, java is faster though).
It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.
Quote:... but it gets the job done and if done right doesn't look like PASCAL.
This elicited a hearty chuckle from myself. Well done, good sir.
C/C++ is good because almost everything is written in it.

Java is good because its really portable.

C# is good if youve got Mono.

theres other languages out there as well. If its just for a game, and its not going to require any 3D graphics, BYOND is a good choice because it has all the tools you need in one package, and it can port to Mac and Linux, without any modification to the source.
Java's a great choice for portability when paired with something like lwjgl or even the new implementation of Java3D.

Personally, I use C++ with a mix of SDL and OpenGL and a lot of cross-platform experience gained from bumps and scrapes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement