Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PurifiedWater

couple questions

This topic is 4414 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Ok I am new to programming and only have a little HTML experience, so not much programming experience at all and i'm a little confused about a couple things. 1. Is a game engine something that makes up the gameplay or is it just for graphics? 2. this is probably a lot more complicated than I am thinking but i'm just wondering if I use or want to use mostly mathmatical expressions to make the game is that ok to do or not? for(an oversimplified)example if player 1 does "x".."y" happens, etc. I think it would be easier for me to do A.I. behavior for example just based on mathmatical functions, but not sure if I can do it like that or do I just use pre-determined functions using just the C++ language? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Quote:

1. Is a game engine something that makes up the gameplay or is it just for graphics?

Could be either; the definition is very vague. In general an "engine" is something that provides a robust, extensible and efficient means of powering some aspect of a game, or the game itself. Developing something that fits all three of those criteria is decidedly non-trivial and should be the domain of a team of experienced software developers; an "engine" is not required to make a game, and should not be something you concern yourself with at this stage of your career.

(Note that a lot of amateur developers build "engines" but these "engines" are really just base framework code, they don't provide the rich feature set, tool support, and aforementioned software design tenants that large-scale engines provide)

Quote:

2. this is probably a lot more complicated than I am thinking but i'm just wondering if I use or want to use mostly mathmatical expressions to make the game is that ok to do or not?

Depends very much on the context.

Quote:

example if player 1 does "x".."y" happens, etc. I think it would be easier for me to do A.I. behavior for example just based on mathmatical functions, but not sure if I can do it like that or do I just use pre-determined functions using just the C++ language?

It's possible to both equally well (in any language). There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach. A robust game will probably combine both methodologies together with others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!