• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Help, my program looked outdated

This topic is 4146 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I've started using basic win32 for my programs, and I noticed that all of the win32 programs I created looked like they came from the 90's. This is not impressive at all, especially to those who do not understand programming (aka. Spectators). Right now, I'm using simple commands such as
CreateWindowEx(NULL, "EDIT", "", WS_BORDER | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 120, 10, 100, 20, hWnd, (HMENU)14, hInst, NULL);
to create controls. Any ideas to improve them visually? (e.g. how to make depressed-style borders like I can do in VB ? How do I change fonting?)

Advertisement
To get the "XP-style" modern look you'll need to use a manifest file. Ask the MSDN about it, it explains it quite well.

VS2005 sets this up for you by default, so I assume you're using something else?

Hmm...
I'm using VC++ 2005 Express right now.

How do I implement these manifests in my project for a "visual upgrade"?
I've looked at the MSDN, and I see no clue to practically improving visual stuff.
My guess is that I have to set the "version" to 6.0.0 or something similar.

It would be wonderful if someone could give me a tutorial link or a sample VC++ 2005 Express project for me to look at and analyze.

*edit
Further questions arising:
1. When trying to create a manifest file in the project, VC++ tried to change my project to a CLR project. I don't want CLR, coz it will only add stuff to my already-messy code and confuse me.
Are there any way in which I could integrate a manifest for XP style without using CLR support?
2. I've forced the creation of a manifest file (contents of the manifest copied from a general tutorial) and set-up the project properties so that my newly-created manifest will be included in the build. And strangely, all the buttons and controls went missing (that is, they did not appear). Am I doing it the wrong way?

[Edited by - dadads on October 16, 2006 2:59:12 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement