• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

graphical primitive

This topic is 4144 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all, everything is made up of pixel! so, I was just wondering how important is to get experienced with all those pixels. As you can guess, I'm talking about algorithms for drawing graphical primitives. My idea is that once you got this kind of stuff you are closer to the base of a "pyramid", and you have a big area above you, whithout any kind of limitations ( you can create whatever you want ). everything is made with these pixels, and basically, we are all talking and working on that. My questions are, first: What do you think about this ?.. This should be considered right? second: Do you know any good resource on internet or book about this topic? thanks in advance!!

Advertisement
I beleive Rasterization is what your describing... If you google that term you will find lots of links.

Yes its pretty important to understand how low-level concepts like this work, but it is extremely unlikely (unless you end up working for a graphics hardware manufactuer) that you will ever end up using them directly. Nowadays everything like this will be handled deep inside the GPU and if you write your own implementation in software it will be and order of mangnitude slower at least, not matter how much you optimize it.

Unless you are already confortable with higher level graphics development I would not recommend jump straight into this kind of thing, you will not get a whole bunch of knowledge doing it, and could waste a lot of time.

That said I've heard rumours of people doing crazy stuff on PS3 like writing software rasterizers...

Thank you for the explanation,
is very useful for me!

I'm working with SDL, and I read
that it has no functions for drawing
these primitives, so if you want
them you have to implement yourself...

So my problems just started!.. ^__^

Don't know,, maybe is it just a
"SDL limitation"?

You cannot access the rasterizer directly.. It is hidden in the depths of your GPU. If wanted to experiement with writing your own your own rasterizer your "frame buffer" would actually be a texture, you would then render a full screen quad with that texture applied to it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement