• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rastamutta

Point in convex figure?

This topic is 4238 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. What is the easiest way to decide if a point is inside a 3 dimensional convex figure with polygonal sides or not? What I have come up with is that if you send a ray from the point and away in any direction you can count how many polygons (the sides of witch the figure is made up of) the ray passes. If it is an odd number it is inside, and if it is an even number the point is outside. Am I totaly wrong? Is there an other way to solve the problem? Sorry for my bad english, I would be very glad for an answear.

Advertisement
If the point is inside the polyhedron, then for each polygonal face of your polyhedron, the point is on the same side of the polygon's plane as the polyhedron's center of mass.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!