• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[.net] C# equivalent to fstream::is_open()

This topic is 4142 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

C# gurus, In C++, we have this function to check if a file is currently open: fstream::is_open() What is the C# equivalent? p.s. Anyone notice gamedev.net has been very slow lately, takes my browser 30 sec to load a page each time!?

Advertisement
Take a look at the System.IO namespace. You'll see that if a file fails to open the constructor throws an exception. Therefore, if no exception has been thrown then the file has been successfully opened. No need for an is_open function.

Skizz

Thanks Skizz.

I am familiar with checking for file open failure via exception, but I still need the is_open function.

In my app, I want to write some data segments to a file at different times in a switch statement like this:

switch(data_segment_n)
{
case file_not_open:
open file and write data_segment_n to a specific location

case file_is_open:
write data_segment_n to a specific location
}
file_close();

This actual app is more complicated than this, and I don't want to close and re-open the file each time a segment is written. Anyway around it?

The only way is to see if the object has been created as a valid object, which implies the file is open and ready for access. So, initialise the file object to null and use a test for null to determine if the file is open. null is a valid c# keyword.

Skizz

If you're using a FileStream object, you can check the CanWrite property, this will be set to false when the file is closed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement