microsoft vc forum

Started by
4 comments, last by jpetrie 17 years, 6 months ago
i have a couple of question's regarding vc2005 express edition is there a better forum to direct these posts too, ie msvc specfic? eg 1/ how to have more than the pathetic number of tabbed documents displayed ie i want the same as vc6 with wndtabs ie lots of small tabs 2/ right click on func, select find all references, then >95% of the time i get the result 1 match found, which i have to click on to expand, which is a PITA, how to automatically expand all references? 3/ with debugging the watch variable window will sometimes report the wrong results 4/ similar to the above, conditional breaking when memory address changes sometimes fails (ie i can change the value + the debugger wont pick it up) ta zed [Edited by - zedzeek on October 16, 2006 6:26:14 PM]
Advertisement
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?forumgroupid=6&siteid=1

1 & 2: don't know, though the MSVS IDE is extremely extensible/scriptable. Your interface changes sound like things that would be doable.

3 & 4: those are often common symptoms of trying to debug optimised/Release build code or a sign that the debug information for your project has become out of sync with the source code (executable doesn't match the source code exactly due to some change that the dependency system didn't pick up).

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Quote:your project has become out of sync with the source code (executable doesn't match the source code exactly due to some change that the dependency system didn't pick up).

ive noticed vc2005 is a lot worse than vc6 WRT this, in the last 4 weeks that ive used vc2005 it doesnt always pick up all changes to source code, 99% of the time it works but the other 1% is a pain (ive learnt now to hit full rebuild if anything fishy goes on, funny though with vc6 it worked 99.99999% of the time)

cheers anyways, esp for that link hopefully the subforum 'Visual Studio Extensibility' has some good extensions
zed
followup post (im still looking for the vc ide enhancements btw)

i was mucking around with a short test app today and got a similar error again

specifically with rebuild solution i get the following
scene.cpp(15) : error C2065: 'scene_radius' : undeclared identifier

yet i can right click on 'scene_radius' + select 'goto definition' + it somehow goes to supposedly 'undeclared identifier' :)
true if i do a rebuild all solution the error disappears but this is such a blatent miss by vc2005 (which vc6 never seems to get) i wonder if somehow the vc2005 install went correctly (i dont remeber getting any errors though) which is a worrying thought.

or is this a common problem with vc2005
Quote:Original post by S1CA
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?forumgroupid=6&siteid=1

1 & 2: don't know, though the MSVS IDE is extremely extensible/scriptable. Your interface changes sound like things that would be doable.

3 & 4: those are often common symptoms of trying to debug optimised/Release build code or a sign that the debug information for your project has become out of sync with the source code (executable doesn't match the source code exactly due to some change that the dependency system didn't pick up).

I don't think it will work in this case cause zedzeek is using the express edition.
Quote:
yet i can right click on 'scene_radius' + select 'goto definition' + it somehow goes to supposedly 'undeclared identifier' :)

This is a disconnect within the browse information the compiler generates. When "going to the definition" the IDE doesn't parse or compile code, it uses information cached in .ncb files (and other sources, perhaps). It doesn't compile anything.

It sounds like you might have your project configured in a such a way as to screw up, or not generate, the browse information (a clean rebuild should delete it and force a full rebuild).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement