• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Need help with GUI...

This topic is 4145 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Finally starting my project called Firelight with a few other people. So far, I've coded my player class so I'm ready to make a character creation program. Only thing is, I really don't want to do a text-based RPG. My last attempt was with the basic JFrame class. It was functional, but a bit dull and in my opinion, a bit klunky to work with with the JFrame, JPanel, JButton, etc. Is there another graphics library that's a bit simple I could work with? Would going up to something like OpenGL be too much at this point?

Advertisement
Have you considered the Java 2D API? I have no doubt that you could learn the basic things you need to create an engine in a few hours.

could I get a bit of a description, or a link, on what SDL or Java 2D API is and how it works differently? Why would you say SDL, and I've heard lots of people use it...

Quote:
Original post by XG08Zero
could I get a bit of a description, or a link, on what SDL or Java 2D API is and how it works differently? Why would you say SDL, and I've heard lots of people use it...

I would first recommend google for the website. but to save you the trouble, SDL stands for simple-direct layer. So...it will be "simple." I do not use Java so no idea on the API. but here's the link for SDL

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement