a random c pointer question

Started by
5 comments, last by Bregma 17 years, 6 months ago
I just came across a program used to test interviewees for their C pointer proficiency - it's listed here for your interest:

#include <stdio.h>

static int table[10] = {0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90};

void main (void)
{
	int *p, n;

p = table;  // p = address of table
	n = *p;		printf("n = %d\n",n); 
	n = *p++;   printf("n = %d\n",n);  
	n = *++p;   printf("n = %d\n",n);  
	n = *(p++); printf("n = %d\n",n);  
	n = (*p)++; printf("n = %d\n",n);  
}

Im a little confused over the line n = *(p++) I thought it would increment p first, then be n would be assigned the value of *p - but i was wrong, what is the reasoning for this?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by meatcow

I just came across a program used to test interviewees for their C pointer proficiency - it's listed here for your interest:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Im a little confused over the line
n = *(p++)

I thought it would increment p first, then be n would be assigned the value of *p - but i was wrong,
what is the reasoning for this?

The statement p++ will increment the pointer *after* the current expression is finished.

So n = *(p++) will give to n the same value as *p. However, after that line, p points to the next element in table (because of the ++).
The post increment operator increases the varible by one and returns the previous value. Basically the same as

int post_increment(int &x){
int temp = x;
x = x+1;
return temp;
}

This is why some people say to use ++i instead of i++ since the former doesn't need to make a temporary. Any decent compiler can see that optimization (at least with primtives). Although it can make a difference on complicated classes (some smart pointers for instance).
yeah, (p++) will increment after the statement has been evaluated, whereas (++p) will increment before.
Allways question authority......unless you're on GameDev.net, then it will hurt your rating very badly so just shut the fuck up.
Quote:
(some smart pointers for instance)

One would hope a smart pointer wouldn't provide an operator++ overload (in either form), as that would make it much less smart.

Iterators, however, are a typical example of where prefix increment might have a performance impact versus postfix increment.
it's just the parentheses that were confusing me here;

so:
n = *p++
is exactly the same as
n = *(p++)

Quote:Original post by meatcow
it's just the parentheses that were confusing me here;

so:
n = *p++
is exactly the same as
n = *(p++)

Yes. The value of the expression
(p++)

is the same as the value of the expression
p++

which is to say, the value of p before the postincrement operator is applied. Applying the dereference operator to either expression will yield the same result.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement