• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Average Texture Size

This topic is 4149 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone knew what the average texture size for most games these days are. What are the dimensions of textures used players in World of Warcraft, or whats the texture dimensions for texturing an Imperial Star Destroyer in Star Wars: Empire at War. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks. Gavin

Advertisement
I have no idea what those particular models use, but I don't think that's your underlying question.

Any card you care about can handle 1024x1024 textures. All newer mainstream cards can handle 2048x2048 but some cheap no-name cards can't.

The generic Windows GDI driver handles 1024x1024.

You have to go back to first generation 3D cards before you find mainstream cards that have limits below 1024x1024, so it's a good base. Even back then, the smaller cards were the exception and not the rule, and most had support for that big of image. Technically, the OpenGL minimum for MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is 64x64, so if you really wanted to be pedantic about it, you could limit yourself to that.

So to more directly answer your question: Use 1024 or 2048, depending on your minimum specs.

You can cover quite a lot of model with that big of a texture, especially if you consider how big the final model is once it is displayed on screen.

[Edited by - frob on October 17, 2006 10:24:54 AM]

The size of the texture depends on the model itself, so there are no standard sizes. You can use several small textures or one to few big ones, there are no limits (maybe the graphics engine have). The criteria is: How sharp should the texture be in the final version?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement