• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[web] Using Flash with DLL's or executables

This topic is 4235 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Is it possible to use Flash to develop a fancy interface that's gonna run localy and then call a executable or DLL to perform some specific actions? We're working on a program to choose between media files and then sending them to the connected mediaplayer. That choosing interface would be done in Flash and the sending has to use DRM so it would be a C++ app or DLL.

Advertisement
yes - so long as it's only going to run locally. Otherwise people could use Flash to run malicious code on a user's computer. You can only do it from a projector (an .exe you make with "publish," not a .swf). I think you need to create a subfolder from the projector called "fscommand" and put the executable in that. I'm also not sure if you can pass parameters to the executable.

then you call FSCommand("exec", "program.exe");

I'm pretty new at this, so I'd google FSCommand, but this is the best information I can offer.

Another option (though possibly heavier weight than you may need) is to use a custom projector instead of the Macromedia/Adobe-provided one.

You can find a free/open-source projector (which used to be a commercial offering) called Screenweaver at OSFlash.org.

There's also very complete and customizable commercial options available for reasonable prices from folks like Multidmedia (MDM), SWF Studio, and NeoSwiff (Google will be your friend).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!