• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Moolkye

Simple Newbie Question....

This topic is 4417 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to go through this tutorial http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=192483&PageSize=25&WhichPage=1 But it says for me to choose Win32 Application, and in my Express Edition of Visual C++ I only see a Win32 Console Application. Are these the same thing? If not how do I add the Win32 Application to my list?

Advertisement
My guess is that the tutorial was written using a non-express edition of .NET. Have you already installed the PlatformSDK? If not try installing that and trying again. You can find the platformSDK with gooogle.

-me

Ya been there done that. Included the proper directory structure too under Tools/Options...

Any other ideas?

Use the Win32 Console Application option, then when the Win32 Application Wizard dialog box appears press the next button, then choose Application Type: Windows Application.

edit: more precise instructions are at the Using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition with the Microsoft Platform SDK page:

Quote:
From the File menu, click New Project. In the New Project dialog box, expand the Visual C++ node in the Product Types tree and then click Win32. Click on the Win32 Console Application template and then give your project a name and click OK. In the Win32 Application Wizard dialog box, make sure that Windows application is selected as the Application type and the ATL is not selected. Click the Finish button to generate the project.

As a final step, test your project by clicking the Start button in the IDE or by pressing F5. Your Win32 application should build and run.

For some reason, I also do not get "Win32 Application" on the "New Project" page, despite having installed the Platform SDK correctly.

One workaround is to select "Win32 Console Application", but on the next screen, "Application Settings", change the "Application Type" to "Windows Application".

Ok cool, I'm all about change, but alas I do not have that option. Hmmm... Wonder if it's just an ID-10-T Error.

Thanks guys

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!