• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Implementing AI

This topic is 4130 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know a lot of theory about AI, but nothing about how to code it. Are there any good sites with tutorials on actual coding? Not any specific AI topics, just in general.

Advertisement
There is a very nice book called "Programming Game AI by Example", by Mat Buckland. Actually, I think the author is one of the gamedev dwellers. I would start by reading that (and programming all the examples).

I believe the Author is fup, and I also recommend this book for people who want to start coding AI. Gives example of designs for several proven game AI techniques.

Quote:
Original post by Possumdude0
I can't afford to buy the book, are there any online resources available?

Have you already looked through the Articles & Resources -> AI section of this site?

-me

Quote:
Original post by Possumdude0
I can't afford to buy the book, are there any online resources available?

I don't know of any good online resources, sorry.

The book is $31.47 on amazon.com, with free shipping. I don't know how poor you are, but there is a number of things you can do:
* Pick up your neighbours leaves for a fee, or do any other simple job to get a few tens of dollars.
* Check if a library around you has a copy.
* Ask your parents for the money.
* Ask Santa for a copy of the book.
* Steal it (not recommended).

You can even see if they have it at your local Borders or Barnes&Nobles to take a peek, if you want to make sure that it's worth the trouble.

Compared to other ways of getting some education, this book is a really good value.

Mat has an example from one of the chapters on his website (http://www.ai-junkie.com/ai-junkie.html)... that's a beginning. I highly advise you to buy the book.

If you're that way inclined, stick it on your Christmas wish list and distribute this to family members with big stars beside it! ;)

My whole family's poor, none of us can afford a book (especially since I need to buy a book for school, and Dad was sick this week and only has a two day check. But enough of my money woes, looking through the articles resources section didn't give me what I need, but it got me all interested in new AI techniques. I read the article "Game-AI Great Expectation-Formation" and now I really want to do that (way beyond my experience level though).

I decided the best thing would be to just try. So I started a small RTS. I've gotten a few errors with the map loading sequence, but I'm getting help with that and hopefully I'll be programming the AI soon enough.

I seem to have a lot of long-winded posts on gamedev.

99.9% of towns and schools in the US and europe have public libraries. Libraries can get you almost any book on the planet for free. go to one. it's free.

-me

I've got to say, buy the Matt Buckland book recomended above. There was some good advice about how to go about getting it like raking leaves. That's easily the best resource for real world AI techniques for beginners. Not a lot of bullshit and theory, just what works with great examples.

AI programming is probably the hardest task a programmer can attempt. If you can't figure out a way to get your hands on a book you probably don't have the determination to become an AI programmer.

I think you can get the source code for Bucklands book for free. Not as good as the book, but you can make your way through the code and figure it out. Just go to his website.

"Not a lot of bullshit and theory, just what works with great examples."

Agreed,defintly

"AI programming is probably the hardest task a programmer can attempt."

It is so hard that, as far as I know , commercial AAA games dont use sophisticated AI .
I dont mean the bullshits, I mean not even the great examples of this book

Personally I like AI but I must wonder...
Is it rally worth while wasting your time ( and money ) in AI ?

p.s.
Nothing to do with game programming, I apologize in advance for it
Anyway I am amazed about Possumdude0's words
Is he speaking seriously ?
He can not afford to buy a cheap book.
I live in Italy which is not suppose to be a reach country ,not at least in comparison to USA but by us it is unbeleivable

About that book. I remember it somehow. It's not that wonderful. It's rather simple, and forgot few important types. Majority of that book talks about things that any reasonably competent programmer could develop himself fairly quickly.
Nice introductory text, yes, but if programmer doesn't have money for book, and is unable to find it in local library, there are numerous tutorials and articles on Internet. Of course they need a little searching, but majority of AI programmers should be proficient in searching.

Just by looking at table of contents. The most important part in that book is that part about FSM, and that chapter is available on the Internet.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement