Implementing AI

Started by
12 comments, last by Raghar 17 years, 5 months ago
I know a lot of theory about AI, but nothing about how to code it. Are there any good sites with tutorials on actual coding? Not any specific AI topics, just in general.
Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens!And now you all must die!Mew mew mew, mew mew mew mew!And now you all must die!-Pete Abrams
Advertisement
There is a very nice book called "Programming Game AI by Example", by Mat Buckland. Actually, I think the author is one of the gamedev dwellers. I would start by reading that (and programming all the examples).
I believe the Author is fup, and I also recommend this book for people who want to start coding AI. Gives example of designs for several proven game AI techniques.
I can't afford to buy the book, are there any online resources available?
Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens!And now you all must die!Mew mew mew, mew mew mew mew!And now you all must die!-Pete Abrams
Quote:Original post by Possumdude0

Have you already looked through the Articles & Resources -> AI section of this site?

-me
Quote:Original post by Possumdude0

I don't know of any good online resources, sorry.

The book is $31.47 on amazon.com, with free shipping. I don't know how poor you are, but there is a number of things you can do:
* Pick up your neighbours leaves for a fee, or do any other simple job to get a few tens of dollars.
* Check if a library around you has a copy.
* Ask your parents for the money.
* Ask Santa for a copy of the book.
* Steal it (not recommended).

You can even see if they have it at your local Borders or Barnes&Nobles to take a peek, if you want to make sure that it's worth the trouble.

Compared to other ways of getting some education, this book is a really good value.

Mat has an example from one of the chapters on his website (http://www.ai-junkie.com/ai-junkie.html)... that's a beginning. I highly advise you to buy the book.
If you're that way inclined, stick it on your Christmas wish list and distribute this to family members with big stars beside it! ;)
My whole family's poor, none of us can afford a book (especially since I need to buy a book for school, and Dad was sick this week and only has a two day check. But enough of my money woes, looking through the articles resources section didn't give me what I need, but it got me all interested in new AI techniques. I read the article "Game-AI Great Expectation-Formation" and now I really want to do that (way beyond my experience level though).

I decided the best thing would be to just try. So I started a small RTS. I've gotten a few errors with the map loading sequence, but I'm getting help with that and hopefully I'll be programming the AI soon enough.

I seem to have a lot of long-winded posts on gamedev.
99.9% of towns and schools in the US and europe have public libraries. Libraries can get you almost any book on the planet for free. go to one. it's free.

-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement