• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Software Configuration Management

This topic is 4139 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on this project (game) of mine. I'm working with a book , and I got to this chapter which discusses software control management. Now, I work on this project alone. So, should I dwelve into this SCM thing, versions control and the such ? Will it make code writing more easier for me ? (This project requires alot of work, it is not a simple game to write) I'm addressing this question mostly to those who already wrote a game by themselves and used / not used SCM. thx in advance.

Advertisement
Effective version control is quite useful as it allows you to try new things without fear since you can just roll back the changes (or have them in a different branch). Also remember that projects get bigger, artists and sound guys come into the group, unexpected stuff happens.

That said, ineffective version control is a waste of time since it doesn't really provide the benefits you need (though you might take risks like you had them). It's all dependant on how good you are at systems stuff; how likely you're able to implement the source control infrastructure you choose.

Version control is absolutely worth having even for a project that you're doing completely on your own. You can download Perforce or Subversion for free (Perforce is free for up to two clients) and it's really not that hard to start using and getting benefits from version control. Just being able to easily diff the changes you've made since your last check in is invaluable on its own.

I'd definitely recommend it - good for tracing where you introduced that bug you only just noticed 3 weeks later, and for trying new things and rolling back / diffing as previously said.
IMO Subversion is the best/least intrusive to use, and I've used most of them.

Guest Anonymous Poster
google: SVN redbook

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement