• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rusting

what do i need?

This topic is 4239 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know bits and pieces of C and C++. What languages do you need to design games and i am not just asking about small scale games. I am asking games of the simulation genre or strategy. And what game softwares should i have to buy to create professional games? Thanks

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by rusting
I know bits and pieces of C and C++. What languages do you need to design games and i am not just asking about small scale games. I am asking games of the simulation genre or strategy. And what game softwares should i have to buy to create professional games? Thanks

Define 'need'. All you 'need' is C. Or C++. Or really any one language will probably be all you 'need'. Also, how many people would you expect to work with? How long of a time frame are you willing to commit to the project?

You only "need" to know one lanugage (even though knowing more won't hurt). All you really need is a compiler and linker. Try dev-c++ (http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html), which is a free IDE (text-editor, compiler and linker all in one) for c++.

Make sure what ever tool you use has a good debugger. It will save you hours and hours of frustration. Make sure to get a book on how to debug. It is as important as writing the code.

theTroll

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!