what do i need?

Started by
2 comments, last by TheTroll 17 years, 6 months ago
I know bits and pieces of C and C++. What languages do you need to design games and i am not just asking about small scale games. I am asking games of the simulation genre or strategy. And what game softwares should i have to buy to create professional games? Thanks
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by rusting
I know bits and pieces of C and C++. What languages do you need to design games and i am not just asking about small scale games. I am asking games of the simulation genre or strategy. And what game softwares should i have to buy to create professional games? Thanks

Define 'need'. All you 'need' is C. Or C++. Or really any one language will probably be all you 'need'. Also, how many people would you expect to work with? How long of a time frame are you willing to commit to the project?

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

You only "need" to know one lanugage (even though knowing more won't hurt). All you really need is a compiler and linker. Try dev-c++ (http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html), which is a free IDE (text-editor, compiler and linker all in one) for c++.
God is not all-powerful, as he cannot build a wall he cannot jump.Stelimar Website: eddy999999.ed.funpic.org/Stelimar/index.html
Make sure what ever tool you use has a good debugger. It will save you hours and hours of frustration. Make sure to get a book on how to debug. It is as important as writing the code.

theTroll

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement