• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BarefootSanders

Picking a GUI

This topic is 4318 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone. Im new to game programing and I had a few questions. I know C++ and i want to get into progaraming my first game and I dont know what GUI i should use. Could someone point me in the right direction? I plan on starting off in 2D games and then make the jump to 3D when im proficent in making 2D games. Any information you could give me would be nice. Thanks.

Advertisement
By GUI i'm sure you mean API (Application Programming Interface). There are several to choose from:

- OpenGL
- SDL
- DirectX

The best place to look is in the For Beginners section of the site.

Hope that helps & good luck!

Dave

Ive read the beginners section but I cant seem to find a section on talking about API's. It just talks about DirectX and I know their are more than that. Would you recomened one API over the other? What is the easiest/hardest? etc. thanks and sorry if im being kinda of a noob about this but im trying to learn!:)

I believe either to be suitable for 2D. However i believe Direct3D to the harder one to learn over OpenGL.

For 2D games, Allegro and SDL are the popular choices(Assuming you are using C++), and for 3D games, OpenGL and DirectX.
From my limited exprience, I'd suggest you start with SDL. For SDL there is the SDL site libSDL where you will
find documentation, links to tutorials, and the SDL download. I'd further suggest you start with LazyFoo's
tutorials, and after that look at Sol's.

If you desire to go 3D, GameDev has a set of OpenGL tutorials here.

I could recommend a few things, but it really depends on what direction you decide to take -- I think you should go check out the links provided, and figure out just exactly what it is you are trying to achieve. After all, no sense sending you looking for books discussing pure OpenGL things if you are planning on starting with SDL :)

Good luck.

~Shiny

p.s. If your math isn't terribly good, I'd definitely recommend reading up a bit on linear algebra -- vectors and matrices especially -- both things that appear allll the time in graphics programming (and game programming in general!). As for links to that stuff -- the reference library here has several articles that are pertinent.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!