• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
coolnesshornz

WIN32 API

This topic is 4238 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

me and two other friends of mine would like to make a game. one of my friends is doing the 3d modeling and me and my other friend are doing the coding. the coding friend already knows c++ and i know how to program and im learning the syntax of c++. we plan on using opengl for the graphics, although i may try out some allegro or something similar first. my question is, do i need to learn the win32 api to do all this stuff. and if i do, what are the best tutorials for it? thanks for your time

Advertisement
Nope you don't! There are a number of options out there.

- Code your own windows with win32.
- Use a windowing lib like glut/sdl
- use a completely seperate language like python or java to abstract it all away

Personally I love SDL, its easy to use and does everything I've ever wanted. It also has a pretty huge following so there are lots of tuts/info out there. Check it out at libsdl.org.

Edit: Also all the nehe tutorials have SDL ports, as well as heaps of others so if you go look at those you can see how many different ways there are to this type of thing :P

This is how I think

If you...

1. Want to make apps that utilize the "common window" with the buttons, toolbars, text edits, and stuff for the GUI.
- Win32 API

2. Want to do real graphics (3D render, 2D graphics, fullscreen, etc)
- SDL
- DirectX (for this, u still need Win32 API)
- OpenGL library
- Other graphic / gaming libraries

No, you dont need to learn Win32, and if you are using OpenGL, you may as well use GLUT. It'll take care of getting you a window, menus, and other necessities to get you started working on game code and not window system code.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!