Best Way to Ban Users?

Started by
88 comments, last by Kylotan 17 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by Telamon
Our casual online game has reached a milestone today - we need to ban our first problem user. Ideally, I would like to ban him from both playing the game (the game is played in a downloaded exe) and posting in our online forums.

I know the traditional approach to this has been blocking IP addresses, but in this day of proxy servers and wireless internet access, I am not sure that that would be effective.

It's very effective, and as you may have seen in the previous responses, it is pretty much your only simple choice. Contrary to the boasts of many a troublesome kiddie, IP addresses do not change that much between sessions, if at all, and tracking those changes is usually pretty trivial.

Implement banning individual IP addresses, and IP ranges, and hostnames (by wildcards). Keep logs of your players' login habits so you can quickly see what sort of ban is most appropriate. Ensure that players get a 'you have been banned' message with contact details so that innocent players who find themselves wrongly banned can contact you. Consider a ban that only bans new players from a given site, thus allowing you to delete that player while protecting any other players from that site. Also consider collecting that extra personal information such as email addresses for users from suspect sites only - it's not ideal, but it's better than banning everybody and it's better than banning innocents.
Advertisement
Oh, and I don't know how you handle new accounts, but again you may want to flag certain IP addresses/ranges/hostnames as requiring approval first - that alone can deter repeated troublemakers as it significantly increases the latency between them deciding to cause trouble and actually being able to.
It's impossible to get the MAC address of a user on a website, the only thing you can do is use their IP address. IF their IP does change, you should ban a range, but you may be blocking out other users.

On some of my websites, when you ban a user, it's best to present them with a 404 page instead of a "you have been banned" message. Most of the time they think the site is down and will leave it be.
Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
Actualy, presuming you are dealing with someone whos just being foul of mouth to your games inhabitants, may I sudgest a more transparent solution?

1. Ban them by IP address, but dont exactly ban them. Block their chat, but dont make it obvious to them. In the game, allow them to see what they are writing, but so noone else can see it. Eventualy they will probably get bored and give up, thinking you arnt doing anything to clean up the mess, and people could care less. Ban both user and IP that way, most likely if he doesent see a "your accounts been closed" or "your chats been blocked" sign, then hes not going to even bother changing IP addresses or users.

This has to be one of the best idea's I've heard in a long time.
Actually, now that I think about it there is even a precedent:
Halo 2 Xbox Live has the option of muting the voice a player you don't want to hear from; it doesn't do it globally though, only for your own connection to him...
On an interesting side note, it is common for people to unplug their microphones when they don't want to talk with annoying players. And thus a common insult is 'plug that microphone back in you *****!'.
Personally, the idea of making a purgatory world for problem users is appealing to me, but we are a small team and we have a billion other things to do add features for the other 99.99% of our users.

Most of the people we will want to ban are probably going to be bratty young kids who lack the technical sophistication to overcome anything except the most simple banning tech. Although none of us have tried, I imagine hacking the Roblox client would be nightmarishly hard -- and thus is the least likely point of attack.

I guess my assumption was that fewer people know how to change MAC addresses than know how to get their IP cycled. I'm also toying with the idea of doing a "digital fingerprint" of the system that would include computer name, gfx card, amount of RAM, MAC address(es), ect and do a "fuzzy compare" to estimate the odds of new accounts actually being previously banned players. (These data would be gathered by our client-side game exe - maybe we could create a browser cookie for "bad players" that the forum software could look for)

That being said, we just need a quick fix right now, so I will probably just implement the good 'ol IP banning method.

Our game is targetted at children, so a high level of moderation is required - it is not enough to say "Oh well, your forums are public, deal with it." The last thing we want is some angry parent emailing us because their kid got pogromed on one of our forums.

Shedletsky's Bits: A Blog | ROBLOX | Twitter
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea...

Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
1. Ban them by IP address, but dont exactly ban them. Block their chat, but dont make it obvious to them. In the game, allow them to see what they are writing, but so noone else can see it. Eventualy they will probably get bored and give up, thinking you arnt doing anything to clean up the mess, and people could care less. Ban both user and IP that way, most likely if he doesent see a "your accounts been closed" or "your chats been blocked" sign, then hes not going to even bother changing IP addresses or users.

The core idea here is good - we already do something like it for our chat filters. The thing we want to avoid right now is making a forked "quarentined users" website for our one or two problem residents.

So, in game this would work well - out of game, maybe it doesn't apply so much.

Shedletsky's Bits: A Blog | ROBLOX | Twitter
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea...

We have more than our share, perhaps, of troublesome users that disrupt the rest, and our game is free, so we've felt fine about getting creative with ban methods ;)

Some of the funnier ones included converting all of their text to pig latin, or, instead of echoing what they've typed, we print a random entry in a pre-entered list of extremely polite phrases (their messages still look normal to them, of course). We also have alternate channels we can send people to where they can only interact with other trouble makers.

More seriously, we've come up with some effective blocks:

* Regex blocking on names and hosts - I can pre-ban anyone with certain patterns in his name.

* IP range and host name (+regex) blocking: easily get-aroundable by experienced asses, but not worth the trouble, and impossible for many of our younger delinquents.

* Password banning: Most people don't think of changing their password even after going down the street to their friend's house to create a new account. We occasionally get "how did you know??" remarks. It's funny. I'm not sure I should say this in public here, but it's been a couple of years already... time for that trick to be up, maybe.

* Spam-blocking: we limit user's chat rate and throttle it depending on the similarity of what they're saying. Four identical remarks in five seconds earns any user a five minute ip/host/password gag (during which they can't talk to anyone).
--Riley
[lol] I never realized banning people could be so fun!

I'm tempted to start an MMO just so I can dream up creative ways to ban people and get rid of troublesome users.
Why don't you try a warning system?

1st Warning - An e-mail/verbal warning from the mods. Maybe have the username in the chat window turn a different color for a set period of time, or something else to tell the rest of the people on the server that the person is on the warning system.

2nd Warning - Ban from the game/forum for a short period of time (days), followed by read-only access to the chat/forum for a longer period (weeks), plus another warning from the mods.

3rd Warning - All out ban.
It depends on what the user did, ie was it racial, sexiest or foul language? if so report them to there isp.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement