[.net] XNA or MDX?

Started by
15 comments, last by vermilion_wizard 17 years, 6 months ago
Hello everybody, i try to make a decision about using XNA oder MDX for my 2d game project. I don't know much about XNA yet and i've got some questions about it. Is it really much easier to make a sprite based 2d game with XNA instead of using MDX? How stable is the framework at this time (it's still in beta i think) and is everything avalible to make a more or less complex 2d game with multiplayer support? And is the XNA framework required on the client PC to run the programm or is DX9 and .NET framework 2.0 having installed enough? Would be happy about some answers :) Greetings Rodriguez.
Advertisement
XNA is great for 2d games and in the current release stable enough to quickly develop a 2d game.

For 3D releated stuff you should propably wait for the next release of XNA Game Studio (next month or so), which includes the content pipeline, support for .x and .fbx models, many new features and some new cool starter kits.

MDX 1 is nice too, but there were not any major changes since August 2005 and I guess it will not be improved in the future anymore. So if you use XNA thats the right choice for the future :)
Microsoft DirectX MVP. My Blog: abi.exdream.com
That sounds great!

The last thing i want to know is what a client must have installed on his pc to run an XNA application, DirectX 9, .Net 2.0 Framework ..and something else?
Quote:and something else?

The XNA DLLs. Also, I've seen reports of XNA not playing nice with the newest DX9 release. Make sure you're working with the August version.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Quote:Original post by Rodriguez
That sounds great!

The last thing i want to know is what a client must have installed on his pc to run an XNA application, DirectX 9, .Net 2.0 Framework ..and something else?

The end user will need the XNA Framework installed which requires DirectX 9 and .NET 2.0. Currently XNA is in beta so there is no runtime installer as of yet. If you release your game before XNA is officially released, end users will need to have XNA Express and Visual C# Express installed in order to play the game. XNA appears to be scheduled to be released around December-January, so you should have nothing to worry about. In the future you will need to make sure the end user has the XNA Runtime, .NET 2.0, and DirectX installed.
Quote:Original post by Machaira
Quote:and something else?

The XNA DLLs. Also, I've seen reports of XNA not playing nice with the newest DX9 release. Make sure you're working with the August version.

You should not redistribute the XNA DLL's from the beta version. First most its in violation of Micrsofts License. Secondly it will put pre-release versions of the software on end users machines (Which possibly could be timed bombed like MDX 2.0 Beta was???). ZMan had a lengthy post about this about a month ago on the XNA Forums I believe.
Hi!!! I have some doubts too.

I have Visual Studio 2003 and 2005 installed and I downloaded XNA beta but it requires Visual C# express to work. I'll download it soon but I'd like to know if there is something i should be aware of by installing Visual C# express having Visual Studio.

Can I share projects over those apps? or do I have to create a new project for each application? and if so, Can I use the same source files for both projects or do i have to copy my source files to a new project folder?

Thanks
Quote:Original post by Hyper Sonic
I have Visual Studio 2003 and 2005 installed and I downloaded XNA beta but it requires Visual C# express to work. I'll download it soon but I'd like to know if there is something i should be aware of by installing Visual C# express having Visual Studio.

The Express versions of .NET can be installed side-by-side with Visual Studio. I have C# Express, VB.NET Express, Visual Web Developer, VS 2005 and VS 2003 all installed on the same machine and there's no problems.

Quote:Original post by Hyper Sonic
Can I share projects over those apps? or do I have to create a new project for each application? and if so, Can I use the same source files for both projects or do i have to copy my source files to a new project folder?

You can open C# Express projects in VS 2005. I haven't tried the opposite, but why would you need to?

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

You can open C# Express projects in VS 2005. I haven't tried the opposite, but why would you need to?

I have had no problems opening Visual C# Express projects in Visual Studio 2005. However, the XNA projects use a template that Visual Studio does not seem to recognize. At least VS refused to open any of the XNA projects I tried. So what I ended up doing is creating the project in XNA express, and then copied the files into a Visual C# project created with Visual Studio.

Nothing special. I have some VS 2003 projects I'd like to use on Visual C# Express without generating a new project, but now that I know VS 2005 can open Visual C# projects, I think I can do that.

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement